Blades dragging across the paper

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lazar 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Lazar
    Participant

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but no matter the settings of the Force,  blades are always “dragging” across the paper, leaving a small but noticeable mark. It’s less visible across fabric or other harder materials, but paper shows it pretty well.

When Force needs to cut, it applies the force to the blade, but when it needs to move to another position, it lifts the blade holder, while leaving blade freely falling down and moving across paper. There’s minimal force (gravity) applied to the blade, so there’s no cut, but mark is left on the paper…

Is anyone else seeing this issue? How are you solving it?

I think the issue is with blade holder design – when blade is inserted, if can move vertically in the blade socket by good 7-8mm. I tried inserting a small ring or piece of paper between to cap of the holder and the blade (not to allow it to fall down to paper level), but it introduced another problem – anything in there cause some friction and blade can’t rotate fast enough to respond to all direction changes…

Sandy

Actually a washer inserted into the blade cap should remedy this situation.  Just cut it from a very thin sheet of plastic, such as a transparency/acetate sheet or very thin Mylar.  The file to download is called Force_Bladeholder_Washer:

http://www.iloveknk.com/FreeFiles/SVG/

Lazar
    Participant

Thanks!

Will this washer be good enough for blade to rotate properly?

Ring I inserted before served the same purpose, but it did introduce some friction and cuts were not that precise any more.

Sandy

This file has been used a number of times by other Force owners who experienced the same issue with one of their blades.  It appears to work great. However, do not hesitate to let us know if your cuts are not as precise as they should be.

Lazar
    Participant

I can confirm they work OK – cutting speed needs to be lowered somewhat compared to what you would normally use, but other than that, it’s working fine.

Thanks for the tip, pity this design flaw wasn’t spotted earlier. Hope new blade holders will have this sorted out by default.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Web Statistics