cutting micro-thin slate veneer?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tahmi 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Tahmi
    Participant

Hello! I’m thinking of getting a Force, but wondered if anyone had tried cutting the micro-thin slate veneers with it. It’s very thin (1mm or so) slate with a fiberglass backing. It’s meant to be cut with shears or tin snips, so I thought maybe I could cut it with this machine. Here is a link to the type of veneer I’d be using in my new product line: http://www.interlam-design.com/micro-thin-slate.html.

I’m leaning toward getting a force since I’ll also be using stiffened felt (which I’m sure can be cut with the force) in my new designs, and using a laser on felt creates such a stench! I’d much rather not have to deal with that smell and have one machine that can do it all. 🙂

Thanks for any insights!

Sandy

The best thing to do is have KNK USA test cut it for you in the shapes you plan to cut.  You can submit a sample using this address:

Accugraphics Sales, Inc

268 Semoran Commerce Pl

Apopka, FL  32703

Attn : Chad Youngblut

Just put a brief note inside with your name and email address and Chad will be in touch. It’s probably a good idea to post back here after you’ve mailed it so that I can follow up with him.  Also, let us know what kinds of shapes you are interested in cutting and what sizing.

Tahmi
    Participant

Thank you, I’ll take you up on your offer. I’ll post an update when I get it in the mail for you so you know when to expect it. (I stashed my samples in that proverbial “safe place” in my studio so I need to find them first – lol!) In the mean time, I did take advantage of your excellent holiday sale to get a Force for all the other things I know it’ll do. 🙂

Tahmi

Sandy

That’s great!  Congrats!

Tahmi
    Participant

Hi Sandy!

Just wanted to let you know I found the samples and I put one in the mail for you today. So it should be waiting for you when you get back from your holiday break.

Thanks!

Tahmi
    Participant

Hello again!

I just got the slate back in the mail, the package was labeled as “insufficient address, unable to forward, return to sender”. This is the address I had on it:

CHAD YOUNGBLUT
    ACCUGRAPHICS SALES, INC
    268 SEMORAN COMMERCE PL
    APOPKA FL 32703

Can you verify that this address is correct? Thanks! Tahmi

Sandy

Oh no!  My BIG BIG BIG  mistake!  It’s 231 Semoran Commerce Place (not 268).   I will gladly reimburse you for the cost of shipping.  Send me your Paypal address and the amount. I’m at smccauley45@cox.net.

Again, I apologize for my oversight.

alex555
    Participant

Hi Tahmi,

I’m very interested to hear about your results with this material. I’ve had some success with cutting wood veneers, but with a lot of problems with blade breakage (making it questionably worth it). I considered trying thin stone or metal veneers, but was concerned that they’d pose even more blade problems

Alex

Tahmi
    Participant

Hi Sandy!

Thanks for the corrected address. I’ve been a bit distracted with bronchitis for the past few days, but I hope to have that sample back in the mail for you tomorrow. And no worries about the shipping – I’m just grateful you guys are willing to have a go at this for me! And I’ll try to post results to keep you in the loop too, Alex.

Thanks!

Tahmi 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Web Statistics