Filament gear grinding

Tagged: 

This topic contains 19 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ron 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

shad0wman37
    Participant

Hey,

I’ve had this printer for about 5 months and I just got new Hatchbox pla white filament and when trying to print something that takes about 3 hours, the filament stops coming out and when taking apart the extruder the filament is caught in the gears. I’ve tried increasing the temperature( now it’s at 240 Celsius and still doesn’t work), and slowing the print down to half the speed, and both things at once but it still gets caught. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this, I’ve gone through half my roll and have gotten nothing successful out of it.

shad0wman37
    Participant

ron

Hi,

Does this happen with any other filament of a different brand? My first thought is that it is some property of the filament; we have modified our extruder to work with many flex filaments, but of course we can’t test them all; this looks like a flex filament in an extruder that it was not designed to allow it.

ron

I have another thought; have you ever changed out the plastic guide tube? These will close up eventually with heat and use, and could be causing a restriction.

shad0wman37
    Participant

The only other filaments that seemed to show this problem in the past is the orange esure filament I got with the printer.

By the way I don’t know if I made it clear that the printer will print fine but after a random amount of time the jam happens.

Chad Youngblut
    Keymaster

As Ron suggested earlier, it could be the teflon guide tube(s). They can begin to swell after a lot of use. Another thought: Did you notice if the fan was working correctly? If the fan has stopped working, the heat can transfer up from the heating block and soften the filament to the point of wrapping around the drive mechanism.

shad0wman37
    Participant

Sorry for the long wait, I just moved and I just got settled. I did notice a few days ago that the fan’s seemed to be wired backwards where when the right extruder was on the left fan would spin not the right one and vise versa. Fixing the fans though still resulted in the same problem, with no improvement, still after about 2-3 hours is when the printer jams.

-Michael

Sandy

Michael, I will notify Chad tomorrow about your latest post. They are on EDT and corrently closed.

Chad Youngblut
    Keymaster

What is the suggested heat range for your specific PLA? It almost appears as though the filament is too warm, causing it to easily wrap around the extruder gear.

Have you experimented with other plastics with different results?

shad0wman37
    Participant

After testing it at different temperatures I do believe that was the problem, most of my plastics work fine at 190C, but this white plastic from the same company seems to work best at 180C. Thank you for your help

shad0wman37
    Participant

Hello again.

The issue that this topic was made for has come up again. Now I don’t believe it to be a temperature issue because after about half a roll of failed prints and looking at each failure and lowering the temp thing, it got to the point where the print would fail because the filament was too cold (165C) and couldn’t push through the extruder but two degrees higher would make it fail like the ordinal picture.

Now I think I know what the problem is, it seems to be that the screw on piece below the gear (a picture will be provided) that the filament feeds through has widened, causing more filament to go through then the extruder can handle (The purple lighted picture), and/or there seems to be a missing pin in the piece on the far left side closest to the hole.

I would just like to ask more experienced in your printer if this is the problem, and if so what’s the process of getting a replacement part

shad0wman37
    Participant

shad0wman37
    Participant

Sandy

I will have Ron or Chad respond to you when KNKUSA reopens on Monday.  You can also start a support ticket, if you like:  https://knp3d.com/contact-us/

ron

To help locate where the problem is, I suggest pulling the nozzle and white guide tube and run filament through the heater block. It does not need to be heated. Feed until you are seeing a blockage or feel confident that there is no blockage.

My though is the white guide tube has swollen, as it will with use, and should be replaced. The frequency of need depends on the filament and temperatures used by the operator. The guide tube swells inside and the restriction to feeding causes the problem. Also ensure the extruder is aligned properly to guide the filament into the first (steel) guide tube.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Web Statistics