KNP3d flexible feet

This topic contains 18 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  reallygroovy 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

reallygroovy
    Participant

i have the extremely flexible feet for the knp3d.  i have tried many ways to get them to stick on the bottom of the machine, unfortunately, i have been unsuccessful.  how do you get the feet to stick on the machine?

reallygroovy
    Participant

in the manual it states that:

when the Export to G-code button is pressed, a G-code file is created and KNP Converter will also run and create the X3G version. Both files are saved in the same folder as the G-code file folder you select.

can’t seem to get this to work for my mac.  can someone post an example of the script on how it should appear for using an iOS system.

Darrel Farris
    Keymaster

I ran a bead of E6000 inside each foot and stuck it on the machine and they’ve stayed put.

Darrel Farris
    Keymaster

The manual is showing the path to the KNP3D Converter application.  Assuming my path to the KNP3D app is the same as yours, this would be the command to open it from the command line on a Mac:

open -a /Applications/KnP3d\ Converter.app

reallygroovy
    Participant

thanks darrel! i am going to try e6000! hopefully it will do the trick for me too!

reallygroovy
    Participant

thanks darrel.  still a little foggy on the command.  i’m assuming that “open” is the command.  not sure of what is “-a”.  also please confirm that there should be a backslash before converter.app.  thanks.

reallygroovy
    Participant

i am going to start a new thread with the tag post processing scripts.  i meant for the two questions i asked above to be on different threads.

Darrel Farris
    Keymaster

If you copy and paste the command I shared in to a Terminal window, you’ll see that it launches.

“open” launches an app from the command line. -a is an option to open an app. The remaining bits are the path to the app being opened. The whole thing is a command. Just copy and paste.

All the command (and that bit of info in the manual) does is launch the KNP3D converter app after slic3r exports gcode.

If it’s confusing, it’s ok to ignore this whole topic. It’s completely unnecessary. You can launch an app yourself, right? 🙂

reallygroovy
    Participant

hi darrel,

thank you so much for your response.  my knp3d app was on my desktop not my applications folder so i moved the app to the applications folder.  using the terminal window, i was able to launch the program. however, in inputting that command through the post processing scripts in slic3r, i encountered the following error.  The configured post-processing script is not executable: check permissions. (open -a /Applications/KnP3d\ Converter.app).  and yes, i can open the app manually, but, its so time consuming i’d rather have it be automatic. thank you for your help!!

reallygroovy
    Participant

hi darrel,

should the above referenced command work within slic3r under iOS?

thanks!

reallygroovy
    Participant

yoo hoo. anyone there who can answer my question?

thanks.

Darrel Farris
    Keymaster

Sorry, didn’t realize you’d replied!

You’d need to create a script containing the command I’d shared, then point Slic3r to the path of that script. Here’s one that’s already done: https://cutterpunk.com/files/knk/knp3d.sh.zip

Unzip that and copy the .sh file somewhere. In slic3r, you’ll need to set the path to wherever you saved it, e.g. /Users/<username>/Desktop/knp3d.sh

I believe that should do it!

Since you mentioned it being time consuming to launch an application, once any application is open on your Mac, a long click on the dock icon will display a menu. In the options menu, you can select the option to keep that icon in the dock.

You can also press ⌘+space to bring up the spotlight menu. Typing ‘knp’ is typically enough to bring up the application and pressing enter will launch it. No mouse needed.

Both of those are faster than using Finder to navigate to the Applications folder. 🙂

reallygroovy
    Participant

thanks darrel.  well i tried again and i wasn’t able to get it to work.  i get an error message: The configured post-processing script is not executable: check permissions.  So I am stumped.  Do you invoke that code in on your mac and does it work?  I am in version 9.1.3 not sure that code works in ios.  i’ve tried everything.

also, i tried E6000 on the flexible feet but it doesn’t stick!  in fact i don’t think they will stick to anything because mine are made of silicone.  i’ve come to the conclusions that those feet are only for decoration as they don’t have any functionality to them as silicone won’t stick to anything.  bummer though!

by the way, i don’t really have trouble clicking on the knp3d icon in my desktop or wherever it is, i just thinks it is more logical that if there is a code to open knp3d, might as well automate it!

thanks darrel

Darrel Farris
    Keymaster

This is really the sort of task that requires some understanding of how using a command prompt works. Also, you’re saying iOS and 9.1.3… slic3r is a MacOS application, not a mobile application, so no that code won’t work on iOS.

On your Mac, you should be able to open a Terminal window, navigate to the folder where you saved the knp3d.sh file, and type ./knp3d.sh which will execute the script and launch the knp3d converter app.

The only line in the script is this: open -a /Applications/KnP3d\ Converter.app

Type that alone at in the terminal will also open the application. As long as you’ve saved it in the location specified in the script, that is.

If there’s genuinely a permissions problem, then check the owner and group of the file and change them to the same owner and group as other files. Acceptable permissions on the file itself are 755 so it can be read and executed. Conversely, just create a new script and copy the contents of the script so it’s created under your user account and will have the correct owner/group set.

If you’re not at all familiar with a unix style command line, file permissions, copying files, and navigating a file-system using a command line, I strongly encourage you to just click a dock icon to launch the app just like any other application.

Darrel Farris
    Keymaster

As for the feet, they’re there to protect the surface of whatever the machine is sitting on, absorb vibration, and the softness helps balance small differences in how level the surface it’s sitting on might be.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Web Statistics