Problems Cutting

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sandy 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

rtsugden
    Participant

My husband purchased my Zing Air for me two years ago for Christmas.  I week later we found out he had cancer.  He is fine now so I am just now for the first time trying out my Zing Air and MTC.  At this point I am so frustrated.  I brought it with us camping to spend the week learning it and creating files to cut.  Well I have watched numerous videos (Thanks Scrappy for the videos) and have tried to cut multiple projects and my zing stops about 20% through cutting.  I looked on the forum and found that I should be for sure it had the latest update so I did that.  Tried cutting again zing stops 60% of the way through cutting.  After more reading on the forum tried a different file.  Same results but the third time cutting it finally cut 100% through.  So I decided to try cutting the same file using vinyl.  Same thing it cut 20% of the file and stops.

I have downloaded the most current updates.  What’s funny is when it was downloading a question popped up asking which Zing I had and said it is listed on the bottom of the Zing. I selected the Zing Air since that is what we purchased but later noticed it says Zing on the bottom.  I also can’t use my bluetooth toggle.  It will only work with the USB cord plugged in.

Please someone help me.  I am trying to cut vinyl saying out for a party my daughter is having for a friend to make signs.  I was so excited about my Zing but have found myself frustrated and spending way too much time reading forum posts to try to figure out the issue.  I work in IT for a living so I understand there can be issues but it shouldn’t be this hard.

Thanks in advanced to anyone who can help me.

Rtsugden

Sandy

Try this… select the shapes and then click on the wrench icon at the bottom of the screen. Then select Flatten Paths. Then try cutting.  This is normally only needed on really big files where people are cutting lots of repeats.

To verify your model, have a look at the bottom of the cutter. If the serial number begins with ZA, then it’s a Zing Air.  Also, the original Zing didn’t ship with a BT dongle, so that’s another indication it’s a ZA.

Regarding not being able to connect via BT, does your computer already have BT built in?

rtsugden
    Participant

So I saw another post like that in my reading in the forum and I don’t have the wrench.  I attached a screenshot of my screen.

My computer is set for bluetooth cause I am able to print to our printer at home with out a cord.

Here is the screenshotMTC Screenshot

Darrel Farris
    Keymaster

You need to have a shape on your mat before the wrench and a number of other icons will be accessible. If you click the top-left icon in the toolbar on the left, it will display a menu of various drawing tools.

You mentioned ScrappyDew’s videos and the MTC forum, but just in case you don’t have a copy of the user manual, here’s a link to that to make sure you’ve got ample resources: http://www.iloveknk.com/0um/KNKZing/KNKZingwithMTCUserManual.pdf

You might also try using a different USB cable as those sometimes can become flaky.

Sandy

As Darrel said, you need to have something selected on the screen. Then, bottom toolbar on the screen… rightmost icon which is grayed out in your screenshot.  See the wrench? That’s it!   Or you can go the long route:  Edit>Shape Magic>Advanced>Flatten Paths.

rtsugden
    Participant

Ok, so I did the wrench thing and got the file to work.  So I decided to try cutting a different file and I am back to having issues.

The first file I tried to cut was a file named “HOME” I select the cut icon, line the blade up and hit cut project.  The blade moves over to the other side and then the machine makes a weird noise and stops.  I then select the project and select the wrench and it states that 4 paths have been flattened.  Try cutting again same thing happens.

So I decide to try a different file named Älways Stay Humble and Kind.  This time I decided to select the project and select the wrench and flatten the path just to be safe.  I select cut and it cuts the first branch and starts to cut the first cut and stops.  Second attempt same thing.

I changed the USB cord even though the cord has only been used for a week. That didn’t help.

Why is this so difficult????

Darrel Farris
    Keymaster

If the tool head is moving all the way to the left edge of the machine and stopping, that’s because it’s being sent out of cutting range. It’s possible you’re not setting the origin correctly based on whether you’re using WYSIWYG vs Knife Point mode.

Are you setting your mat size to be equal to the size of your material? If you were to draw a square on the virtual mat, could you make that square cut exactly where you want it to on a piece of cardstock or vinyl?

rtsugden
    Participant

My mat size is set to 12×12 and my image is within the mat size.  Here is a screenshot so that you can see the setting and file.HOME image

rtsugden
    Participant

The other file where it starts to cut and stops looks like this.  In the second photo arrow one is where it starts to cut the “d”in Kind and arrow two is where it cut the branch.  As you can see this is where it stopped and never started back upAlways Stay Humble and Kind Image

Always Stay Humble and Kind Image 2

Sandy

Any time the head is on the far left side of the machine, it means it’s been sent out of its 14″ cutting range. This happens when a project is too wide or when the origin has been set too far to the left of home origin.  Also, your mat is incorrectly loaded. You always want to work on the right side of the machine, not the left side.  So, for starters, move the mat to align along the right side, next to the home origin.

I also highly recommend you learn to use Knife Point mode instead of WYSIWYG in order to have more cutting room available.  You might be able to cut the project above in WYSIWYG mode but it needs to be moved to the very top of the screen first.  Otherwise, in Knife Point mode, you set the origin with the tip of the blade over the corner of the material (instead of the laser light) and the project will cut with the top right corner of it aligned with that origin.

Hi. I’d appreciate any help.

I just purchased a newly – used (supposedly) Zing Air from e-bay. It was running fine for 30 minutes and all of a sudden it goes nuts and the main cutter console acts and sounds like a jack hammer and gets stuck at the starting position (right-side) banging in the same position vibrating like a jackhammer. I turned it off. It sounded scary! I  manually moved the carriage to the left-side, turned it on and it started quietly and then moved back to the normal starting right position and then the jackhammer sound and motion begins. I unplugged everything, re-plugged in everything and waited 15 minutes…same thing.  I had already pulled the blade and mat in the very beginning.

If anyone could help, I’d appreciate. Sure hope I didn’t get a lemon. I know KNK does not make these anymore, but I sure hope they still support them.

Thanks,
    Dre

Sandy

It sounds like the right side limit switch is stuck. So, make sure that it’s “poking out”… it’s the red button. If that’s not the problem, please start a support ticket using this link:

Support ticket request

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Web Statistics