4 Problems since getting my Zing Orbit

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sandy 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

rorocuts
    Participant

I’ve had the Orbit for a couple days now and I’ve noticed several problems.

1. Sure Cuts-a-Lot 5 keeps crashing on me. It’s on a mac and I’ve registered the software, but it crashes a lot, particularly when I’m not doing anything, i.e. waiting for the Orbit to finish cutting.
    2. The machine seems to get “lost” a lot on cuts/drawings. It starts out doing well, but by the end it’s misaligned. It’s even been off so much that a box I had around some stencils I was cutting was no longer square and cut through a portion of the stencil
    3. I’m getting a lot of stray cuts. It seems like the blade is perhaps dropping down a bit between cut shapes and dragging as it goes. They aren’t deep cuts but enough to ruin the vinyl.
    4. I’m having a hard time getting the 15 in. width it claims to have. It seems more like it’s in the 14-14.5 inch range. The machine starts blinking a red flashing light and crashing whenever it gets that far wide, even if the mat is all the way to the right hand side. It’s a bit confusing to me, as the pinch wheel on the left cannot move too far right, so it seems like it’s hard to take advantage of the 3rd pinch wheel while approaching anywhere near the full cutting width it claims to have.

Thank you for any suggestions/help. I admit I’ve not had it for very long, but I’ve not found anywhere in the manual address these issues. I’ve read the main chapters and watched the relevant videos but they haven’t been helpful on these issues.

rorocuts
    Participant

I’ve actually noticed another thing that perplexes me. Sometimes it just doesn’t seem to go all the way down. It acts as if it’s about to make a cut/press the pen down, but it stops a hair above the surface of the paper. It seems to this predominantly on the left side. At first I thought it was an issue with the cutting mat, as it arrived a little bent, but the pinch wheel is right near the gear shaft spot there and I can see the holder is not dropping all the way down when I watch it.

Sandy
    1. What operating system are you running on your Mac?  I will contact the developer of SCAL to see if he has any input on this. Or you can start your own support ticket with Craft Edge (the developer of SCAL) at the following link: http://www.craftedge.com/support/support_form.php. I’ve not had any issues with my Mac and I was a beta tester for SCAL5 starting in August 2017, along with several other Mac users, so this is not a known issue.
    2. I assume you’re referring to the vinyl you mention in 3. What are your settings?  Are you using the cutting mat or not?  Either way is fine… just asking.  Are the pinch wheels that are on the outside properly centered over the grit shafts below?  Even if just one is half-on/half-off a grit shaft, it can cause the mat to skew during cutting.   How long are these stencils that you’re cutting?
    3. How do you mount the blade holder into the ZO? Are you using the 15 Post It note method recommended in the manual to make sure the blade holder isn’t too low? You might try using 20.
    4. When you first turn on the ZO and the head positions itself at its home origin, that location represents the start of the 15″ wide cutting range. I recommend verifying that you have that full 15″ by using the following procedure:

A. Remove the blade holder. You’ll be just “cutting air.”  🙂   You also don’t need the mat or material.

B. Turn off and turn on the ZO so that the head will definitely be at its home origin.

C. Place a 15 ” wide rectangle onto your screen and, in the cut window, make sure you have Origin Point mode selected so that the rectangle will be drawn right at the hom origin.

D. Send it to draw and make sure it can move the full 15″ to the left and return home without going into red light mode.

Regarding your second post,  do you have the optional metal tables? If so, check to see if one side is slightly higher than the other relative to the ZO itself. When tightening the thumbscrews there’s a little big up/down wiggle room in which you can adjust one side versus the other to make sure they’re level. If one side is higher than the other, that can then make the cutting mat or just the material without the mat a bit higher affecting the cut settings.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest