cutter stops cutting in middle of project

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sandy 6 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Sbrell
    Participant

I have a Zing Air.  Yesterday I was cutting an SVG using SCAL4.  I set the origin and began cutting.  It was a very simple quarter moon shape,  The cutter began cutting and then just stopped half way through the project.  The cutter was activated and the blade was down, but would not longer cut the project.  SCAL said that it sent the project to the cutter and it was finished.  I turned off the machine and restarted and attempted to cut two more times.  I then sent the same project through MTC and the same thing happened.

Today I unplugged and restarted the Zing Air.  It began working normally for the first 5 cut projects,  Then it did the same thing again.  I tried unplugging and restarting but nothing is changing.  Any thoughts about what is going on?  I don’t believe it’s a software issue but something in the machines is awry.  Is there a reset button I could use to reset the machine?  Thanks for your help.

Sandy

I need to see the actual SCUT4 file, along with a screenshot of your Cut Settings window. Please submit both to smccauley45@cox.net. We’ll get it figured out! 🙂

Timothy
    Participant

Sandy – I’m having the same problem w/ a KNK Maxx – more and more frequently – cutting projects directly from MTC.  In all cases the cut simply freezes, no error message on the dialogue box on computer or on the printer.  I’ve left the computer connected for up to several hours and not progress, rhyme or reason. Frustrating in addition to a big waste of material.  Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Tim

Newport Flag Company

Sandy

Tim, are you on a Mac or a PC?

Timothy
    Participant

Sorry. I’m on a Mac

Sandy

Two things to work on:

(1) Because the Mac version runs on the Wineskin emulator, owners need to optimize the Data Throttle setting. Here are the instructions. Note that we’ve had customers who have needed to increase the ms to as high as 35.

Data Throttle

(2)  As a second precaution again the cutter stopping on large cuts, select the design and click on the wrench icon at the bottom of the screen and select Flatten Paths.

Post back if you still have issues with the Maxx stopping mid-cut.

Timothy
    Participant

Sandy – thank you.

I still am having trouble with projects freezing up mid cut.  I’ve dropped the pause from 3 to 2 and now to 1.  I’ve uncreased the MS gradually – now up to 40.

For the most recent cut – I’ve simply deleted the portion of the stencil (all my custom are letter and/or number stencils for the most part) that has been successfully cut – let the same piece of mylar on the mat and re-started from where it froze up last time.  So – the projects are getting smaller and smaller – but I am still freezing up except for the last very small section.

Please let me know if I just need to keep adjusting the MS up to a point where the cut is slowed sufficiently.  I care less that this may increase the time of the cut than having the project cut in one try.

Thank you.

Sandy

Leave the Data Throttle settings at new current values. Then select your shape and click on the wrench tool at the bottom and select Auto Simplify Path. Then with it still selected, click on the wrench tool and select Flatten Paths. Try again.

Timothy
    Participant

Huge improvement!

Thank you.

Sandy

That’s great news!  You’re welcome!

Timothy
    Participant

sandy – back to having some freezing issues, but more manageable with your prior advice.  In the bigger picture – and considering the seemingly usual issues I have with MTC just crashing for no apparent reason – is there now another software option that would interact with my Maxx Air that may be more trouble free?  I work on a Mac.  All my cutting is on 7mil mylar for cutting stencils….largely letters and numbers in addition to images.  If the moving to a new program would make the whole process more trouble free – I’d consider whatever cost and time is involved w. making the change.  Your advice is invaluable.  Thank you.  Tim

Sandy

You’ll be much happier with Sure Cuts A Lot 4 because it has a true Mac version. It does require learning new terminolgy for the same kinds of functions you’re accustomed to in MTC.  But it’s definitely worth it, in my opinion. The software is updated regularly to fix bugs whereas MTC hasn’t had an update in over 4 years now.  You can also test it out for 15 days to make sure you like it before buying, but note that it does do watermark cuts through your materials.  Oh… and it has a Stencil Bridge feature you might like when designing your stencils.

Link to software:

http://www.craftedge.com/download/download.html  (be sure to choose SCAL4)

Link to purchase from KNK USA:

Sure Cuts A Lot 4

Link to Maxx Air with SCAL User Manual:

KNK Maxx Air Support Page

There’s also a pro verson of SCAL4. It probably doesn’t have any features you would need in your particular application but here’s a document that present the additonal functions:

http://www.iloveknk.com/wp-content/uploads/Info/SCAL4_Pro_Features.pdf

And one more… Here’s a table I created that shows equivalent names for certain functions in SCAL4 compared to what they are called in MTC:

http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/Tutorials/SCAL/MTC_vs_SCAL_Terminology.pdf

Please post if you have any questions or need help with setup or whatever.

michaelledjenane
    Participant

I have a KNK Zing and I have been using my cutter since 2016. No real complaints except that it definitely requires some practice. Today my cutter decided to stop cutting through the last part of the path. I had done practice runs with regular paper before because I didn’t want to lost my fabric transfer material I was going to use as it is not cheap. It did the same thing with the test runs. I resized the image and I thought it was enough that it wouldn’t exceed the dimensions of the mat and decided to go for it. BAD IDEA. The cutter completely froze at the end leaving me to throw away my fabric transfer material. I had worked over 5 hours on trying to get it right and even having to fix my levers additionally as they were also an issue getting stuck and not unlocking my mat… needless to say I’m frustrated. I looked up videos to help from your forum but none of them really helped. Not sure what to do now.

Sandy

A few questions:

(1) Are you using MTC on a Mac?

(2) When it stopped was the head over on the left side or somewhere else?  Basically, I’m asking if you were at the left side limit.

(3) Are you using WYSIWYG mode or Knife Point?  Using Knife Point, gives you the full 14″ wide cutting range.

(4) If the head was NOT near the left side, then can you post a screenshot showing your design so I have an idea of the complexity.

We’ll get things figured out.  You can also email your file to me at smccauley45@cox.net if you want me to test it myself.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest