Cutting Off from Point of Origin

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rebecca Scott 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Rebecca Scott
    Participant

I recently got a Maxx Air. I have calibrated it, and it seems to be cutting well, except that it consistently seems to start cutting just over 1/16 inch off from the point I set the origin on both the x and y axis. I haven’t had this problem with any of the other KNK machines I have used, and I am wondering how to fix it. I would really like things to cut more exactly to where I have them set on my page.

Sandy

You didn’t mention which software program you’re using nor any of your chosen settings.  So, I’ll just take a stab in the dark and say it’s MTC and you’re using WYSIWYG mode.  If that’s true, then note that if you’re setting the origin using the laser light and you haven’t calibrated the laser light with the blade tip (as presented in the print and cut chapter of the user manual), then that’s the issue for sure.  Otherwise, provide me a LOT more info and I can help you troubleshoot this issue!  🙂

Rebecca Scott
    Participant

I am actually using SCAL and setting the origin to the tool. I have not yet gotten to setting up laser alignment with this particular machine, since I haven’t gotten to setting up the print-and-cut yet. Settings vary by whichever tool I am using, but the result has been the same with things cutting off. Basically though, I have been cutting/scoring cardstock. I have had/used a couple other KNK machines (Groove-e and Force) before without this particular problem.

Sandy

I’ve used the Maxx Air a lot with SCAL4, so I’m a bit surprised this is happening to you. Let me think about what could cause this. I assume this is only when using WYSIWYG mode, right? Not with Origin Point?

Also, what version of SCAL4 are you currently using?  Please actually verify the number.  Thanks!

Rebecca Scott
    Participant

Yes, this is in WYSIWYG mode. I wouldn’t know how to tell for sure in Origin Point, since that doesn’t cut according to the layout on the screen anyway, so it wouldn’t line up in the same way. And it says my Version of SCAL4 is 4.060.

Sandy

First off, I recommend updating SCAL since your version is quite old and I’m not sure what changes/bug fixes may have been made since that version.  Go to the link below and download whichever SCAL4 version you have (Mac vs PC and regular vs Pro).   Then, using the user manual as a guide, try again.  If you cannot draw a shape exactly as I show in the manual, then please email that file to me at smccauley45@cox.net and note whether you’re in Portrait vs Landscape orientation and then whether you’re in WYSIWYG or Origin Point mode. I’m VERY happy to help you get this sorted out because it is very common for users to struggle getting things to cut where they expect. Once you have that mastered, it makes things much easier.

http://www.craftedge.com/download/download.html

Rebecca Scott
    Participant

I tried installing a more recent version of SCAL, but I am still having the same problem. Below is a picture of one popular card I have cut and made for customers for years using my Groove-e. I have also cut it without issue on the Force. (I have used MTC with the Groove-e and SCAL4 with the Force.) However, on this machine, it consistently makes the cuts just slightly off from the edge of the paper as shown below. I am also emailing you this particular file, but the file is not the issue; it does the same thing with my other files. Many of my files cut to the edge or close to the edge of my pages, so having them cutting off from my origin is a problem. I have tried to make sure the blade is actually returning to the exact corner of the paper where I set the origin to after the cut finishes, and it seems to be returning to it pretty well.

(The circled areas of this first picture are the same points I have zoomed into on the rest of the pictures.)

DSC_5292sm

DSC_5292RightHand

DSC_5292LeftHand

DSC_5292TopCorner

I generally cut in portrait mode, and I pretty much always use WYSIWYG.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Web Statistics