Drilling holes in 3mm plywood

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Hervé 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hervé
    Participant

Hello,

I would like to use my Force for drilling holes in plywood of 3 mm width. What would look like the Inkscape file and C3 settings.

Regards

Hervé

Sandy

When drilling holes with the Rotary Tool:

(1) Read the chapter in the Force with C3 UM regarding the rotary tool which coveres the online calculator which will help you determine the ED to use

(2) Use a rotary tool bit that will create 3mm holes

(3) Use really tiny circles, such as the period in a font, to design the holes.  The diameter is determined by the bit you select versus the design.

If the holes are following a specific line or curve at a certain spacing, I’m sure Inkscape has a function to distribute shapes along a path.  Just google or ask at an Inkscape forum.

Hervé
    Participant

Hello Sandy,

In fact, I just want to make circular holes of 5mm with a bit 5mm or 2mm with a bit of 2mm.

For this, is it possible to simply move the head to the position of first hole, drop down the head, then move to next hole… etc  ?

Regards.

Hervé

Sandy

Are you asking if you can manually  move the head to each location where you want to drill a hole and do this for each hole versus using either C3 or SCAL to send a design of holes to drill at once?   The answer to that is probably no because I assume you need those holes to be in very precise locations and there’s no way to really accurately position the tip of the drill at any given location.  You could possibly test it by having the circle you want to drill located at the origin (lower right corner) of the SVG design file and then just move the head to where it should be but I just don’t see it being all that accurate since you cannot temperarily drop the head to check for accuracy on positioning.

Hervé
    Participant

Hello Sandy,

…yes something like this but automated.

There seem to be a solution using the API and programming the moving of the head. But I expected something smarter included in the C3-svg parser ?!

What’s your advice regarding the API for my purpose ?

Regards.

Hervé

Sandy

The C3 programmer abandoned the project after completing auto PNC so he’s no longer available to look into this for you.  The only way this capability will ever be added is if one of our Force owners decides to develop his or her own program to run instead of C3.

Hervé
    Participant

…does Knk think over making the C3 code of the Force in open-souce, so the code would progress for the Force owners left.

Regards.

Hervé

Hervé
    Participant

…or a development like a plugin for Inscape that would generate a Force Api commands file corresponding to the drawing (like Gcode). This file would be send to the Force through the IP interface.

Are there already Inkscape plugins for Knk products ?

Regards

Hervé

Sandy

Unfortunately, KNK USA doesn’t own the rights to C3. But they will provide documentation to anyone interested in developing their own program to operate the Force.  If you want to contact the owner/developer of C3, I will provide you his email address if you send me an email at smccauley45@cox.net.

Regarding Inkscape, there is a plugin that works with several other models of KNKs but I don’t think there’s one for the KNK Force.

Hervé
    Participant

…Thank you for your information. The Inkscape plugin is maybe open-source, and adaptable to Force.

Have you got the name and link related to this plugin ?

Regards.

Hervé

Sandy

It’s under Extensions>Export>Plot and then, on the Connection Settings tab you select KNK under Command Language and enter the rest. But again, this is for the older KNK cutters that connect via USB.

Hervé
    Participant

…ok thank you, I will have a glance.

Hervé

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest