Everyone tryng to "dump" their KNK Force?

Computerized Cutting Systems and Supplies – KLIC-N-KUT Forums Cutters & Equipment KNK Force Everyone tryng to "dump" their KNK Force?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sandy 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

christyjhicks
    Participant

I have begun to fear that people are dumping their machines because they don’t work!  I purchased one, but ddidn’t have time to try it out till lately, only to find real problems with the cutting ability.  I have tried and tried to get some type of customer support, but it is starting to appear that once you buy one of these you’re on your own.  Pretty sad for what was a pretty pricey machine.  I have called, which auto-directs you here to what appears to be their ONLY support. . . other people with ideas I guess?  I emailed. . . no response.  Once again, left a message because no one answered the 800 number.  At this point, I would caution people to be very hesitant about purchasing from KNK.

csroyal
    Participant

Go over to the Facebook Force page and ask for help with your machine.  They are VERY helpful and if nothing else, will help you connect with KNK.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/KNKForce/

christyjhicks
    Participant

My personal feeling is that I OUGHT to be able to call and either talk to or at LEAST, leave a message for tech support.  Directing me to a website was less than satisfactory, IMHO.  I also feel that IF I leave a support ticket online, I should have a response from a real person within 24-48 hrs.  This did not happen and the suggestions on the forum did not work.  It appeared to me that either KNK was not monitoring this forum or if they were, had no cure for my cutting issues.

The lack of real support was a great concern to me, so I called and left my name and number for sales.  I IMMEDIATELY heard back, which sort of gave support to my suspicion that the company was eager to sell, not so eager to support.  To her credit, the sales rep did contact one of the techs and he did call me quickly.  He is sending me some pieces that may solve my problem, and I will report back on here after I receive them and try them.

Sandy

The KNK Force is not the easiest cutter to learn but there are lots of successful owners sharing their photos and experiences on our Facebook group. I realize a lot of people don’t like Facebook but, unfortunately, that’s been the only one of the various Force community sites that really took off. You can also see successful Force projects at the Team KNK web site. In fact Omayra Duarte just posted this project the other day: http://teamknk.com/rotary-tool-wood-engraved-and-painted/

Also, KNK USA is a small family-owned company and isn’t staffed with tech support personnel available 24/7 to help new owners. On the other hand, I’m available 7 days a week to help new and and experience owners with questions and issues with their KNK cutters. All you have to do is start a topic here (or at any of the other KNK groups listed in the user manual) and you’ll get a response within 24 hours.

christyjhicks
    Participant

I also would like to explain very clearly, I would never expect someone to be available 24/7 to help, but I I tried calling the end of July, there is no place to leave a message for tech support or choose that option, and the message indicated you must leave a request on the website, so I did so.  I waited a couple of days but received no response, so I responded to the support ticket confirmation email asking if anyone had looked at my request for support.  It was over a week AFTER my request for support, after having received NO response, before I made this specific post on this forum.
    If you search my user ID, you’ll see that, in fact, my first attempts to resolve this date back a good month ago, and it was clear that no one on the forum had any suggestions that were going to resolve this problem.  If the company was monitoring their own forum, they also did not reach out to me to help me solve the cutting issue. I had already done extensive searching, cut washers for the blade holder, made every attempt to solve this problem myself, to no avail.  At the point I made this most recent post, I had a fairly expensive machine that simply could not cut at the same depth from one side of the material to the other. .  . a mere 15″ across the vinyl.  I was cutting a good quality vinyl. . . nothing that should have been taxing to the machine.
    I did join the Facebook page after someone suggested that, but I was actually looking for specific tech support on an issue with the machine itself, not in learning how to use it or the software.  I’m sorry, but after scrolling down a while in the facebook page, I felt it was more about “here are things you can do, things I did”, not, “ok, here are issues with the machine and how you solve them. I would NEVER think a company would use a Facebook page for tech support.
    I had been directed to this website for support, had not received a response for my support request, and had not really received help with my problem from this forum either, so honestly, I feel I was fully justified in expressing concerns that I had bought a machine that I couldn’t get good tech support on, and was wondering if this was a widespread problem since I have seen several posts of these machines people had for sale. I don’t feel my post was an attack on a family owned company at all.  As it is, I made it clear that after leaving a message for sales, I did get a call back, and am currently waiting for some parts, and will post again when I try them.

Sandy

I just did a search and I found the one topic titled “New to using 2016 model Force”.  I see that I addressed your questions but you never responded. Did you start a different thread and I missed it? Did you start a thread on the Facebook Force group and fail to get a response?  Paul and I do our very best to address all of the public posting of questions there and have helped many Force owners with both connection and cutting issues.  If  you have an outstanding post here OR there, without a response, I apologize because it’s MY job to make sure public requests for help are always addressed.

As I stated earlier, it’s not MY choice to use FB for tech support and it’s not KNK USA’s choice, either. We respond to what our customers prefer and the majority, by far, prefer to post their questions on Facebook. But either way, I also check in here once or twice a day and I routinely check on our Yahoo groups which were once very popular for tech support but not so much now.

If you need ANY assistance after getting the parts, please let me know. You can email me privately if you prefer: smccauley45@cox.net. I will make sure you get a prompt response.

christyjhicks
    Participant

Yes, that was my post noting that I was having problems with both cutting quality and wondered if anyone had tips for making sure the material was straight.  You were the ONLY one to respond, with suggestions to only use two pinch wheels and a suggestion tension setting. As I had indicated, I had already tried both two and three wheels, and had experiemented with tension settings. Honestly, since your suggestions didn’t work and no one else responded or offered ideas, it appeared to me that this forum wasn’t used often. I continued to check all possible settings and do as much research as possible, and after several attempts at calling where I only reached the voice mail, I finally left only my name and number, hoping that a live person would call me. I knew that the problems I was having had nothing to do with user errors, it was clearly a machine issue. Years ago, I did work a bit with Gerber cutters, and although I didn’t expect the cut quality to compare to a big commercial machine, it was clear that I was not going to be able to get acceptable cuts out of this one without help.

Maybe it would help to explain the problems I was having: Without mylar washers in the blade holder, the unit would score the vinyl as it moved back and forth, so of course, the cut material was unusable. Since the machine cuts the inside of letters first, then goes back and cuts the outer edges, the machine does feed the vinyl back and forth rapidly, pretty much destroying the words it was cutting. I followed the holder replacement steps very carefully numerous times, but the ONLY way to keep it from scoring the vinyl on a longer run was with about six to eight washers in the blade holder. I had my tension backed off to the smallest amount, and had to reduce my cutting depth to 7 and 8 in order to keep the unit from cutting right through the vinyl backing paper. At those settings, a horizontal strip cross the piece of vinyl would barely come loose (was barely cut through) on the far end and scored the backing paper on the end where the cutter head rests. I was lettering a couple of our service trucks, so I was forced to design my cuts so I used 1/2 of the material, long ways, then I would increase my cut depth and use the second half of the material with the rest of the lettering. I was still having problems with corners cutting, g’s, a’s, etc, but I suspected that this was related to having numerous mylar washer spacers in the blade holder. Needless to say, if I was having this type of trouble cutting something as simple as vinyl, I needed someone that knew these machines inside and out to figure out what was really going on.

As it is, somehow when my machine was shipped, there were no springs with the blades, and they suspect the blade holder was not right. He gave me a hack to try and is shipping me a new holder and the springs for my blades. I did not explain this on my last response here because I felt I should wait until the parts came and see if it resolved my issues.

I waited patiently for a response from my support request, and when I didn’t get one, even after my second attempt, and the fact that the answering message indicated the ONLY place to get support was by going through this website, I don’t think I am out of line for getting the feeling, at the time, that I was out of luck.  No, I did not start a thread on the Facebook page for troubleshooting, as I had no clue there even WAS a Facebook page until you response to this posting, and to be honest, I still feel that my first contact for tech support of a machine related issue should be where I purchased it.

Sandy

I’ve worked for KNK USA for 12 years provided tech support and education for them. I work out of Arizona, so I’m not there at the KNK USA facility to answer calls.  But, via the forums and support groups, I’ve easily helped a thousand KNK owners with troubleshooting issues, calibrating their cutters for print and cuts, providing suggestions for improved cutting, and dozens of other misc things.  I never give up helping someone and, at times, if I feel there’s an issue with the blade holder or the cutter itself, I will recommend starting a support ticket.

After you receive your new blade holder, be sure to set the Blade Tension to less than 1 for cutting vinyl. KNK USA did a lot of testing and determined that using 0.5 (two rotations below 1) gave the best results for even cutting across a wide section of vinyl.  You’ll need to increase the CD compared to values reported in the settings table because of the lower BT, but as it was explained to me, with the lower tension, the CD can be increased without cutting too deeply on either side or in the middle because the blade is not being forced down as much as with a high BT… it’s able to glide through the vinyl.  We see the same results when cutting wide sections of cardstock, too. Sometimes, it does better with 2 passes and then setting the SD at half the ED so that the blade can work through the cardstock more gently. Also, check the flow chart in the Appendix of the user manual which shows how to adjust settings based on the results you’re getting. If you continue to have inconsistent results, please post your current settings and a photo of the cut and I’ll provide suggestions for what to try next.

Since you weren’t aware of the FB groups, be sure to also check out Section 1.04 of the Force with C3 user manual as it lists various other options for support besides here.

christyjhicks
    Participant

If you had indicated to me that you were a tech support person, I would have been more detailed on the problems I was having.  Since you didn’t respond about the washer question, I didn’t realize you were actually tech support. By the time I was convinced there was nothing I could do for settings to get it to cut correctly, I was waiting for tech support.  I honestly just thought you were someone who moderated the forum.

Since the machine had never been used, literally came out of the box with the cutting issue, I felt that I needed to be talking directly to KNK, as it wouldn’t be related to inferior or old blades, wear and tear, improper settings, that type of thing.   I have been using the lowest tension setting, and he did tell me to stay with that.  I hope to go back to standard settings for cut depth once I got the problems with the holder resolved.  I had slowed the speed way down also, so hoping to go back to more of the defaults once we get cut clean cuts.

I had dug through that manual numerous times looking for reasons it was cutting so poorly, and it  does mention the Yahoo and Facebook groups as a place for advice and to share projects. . . again, I think I’ve explained why I felt I needed tech support and the manual repeatedly points me to creating a support ticket at KNK for that.  I honestly felt I was taking the correct steps to get support and had I known you were a tech support person who could have resolved this, I absolutely would have gone into more detail on the problems I was having.  I did save your email address for any future questions, that way I have a good source for troubleshooting if I need.  I appreciate it!

Sandy

At other forums, I have a signature set up so that every post indicates that I assist KNK USA customers but this forum doesn’t seem to have that capability.  If it does, I can’t find it.  Anyhow, no problem!

The washers were initially recommended for Force blade holders that weren’t keeping the blade properly mounted. I don’t recall KNK ever recommending that more than one be used. Their purpose was simply to narrow the opening.  Then the tiny springs provided with the Zing blades were substituted and found to work for this purpose, so that’s what we now recommend. I’m glad you’ll be getting those to use.

Regarding the BT, it was Ron Smith at KNK USA who first recommended using less than the lowest setting on the BT scale for vinyl. So, that’s what I tested with regular vinyl and with HTV and got much improved results. He also recommended using a wide thin rectangle for a test shape because it allows you to make sure the cut is even all the way across. If you’re planning to cut something fairly intricate, then using something more detailed after getting a clean rectangle would make sense, such as a row of ampersands or just typed out letters, again at a small enough height that you won’t be wasting a lot of material.

Anyhow, looking forward to making sure your Force meets your needs in a much improved way!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Web Statistics