foamcore board

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Hervé 17 hours, 30 minutes ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Bruce
    Participant

has anyone tried scoring regular foamcore board with the Force? I know 3-4mm is too deep to cut all the way through, but I would like to accurately score the surface of foamcore with the blade to make accurate cuts for airplane wings etc.

Sandy

I’ve not tried it, but this type of partial cut of a thick material has been used with our other KNK’s successfully. Depending on the depth you’re hoping to achieve and the size of the shapes, take a gentle approach using more than one pass and using an SD = ED / Passes. This will help prevent the mat from skewing due to the blade trying to cut deeper than it can.  Also, you may need to change the Surface Height setting so that the blade will be high enough above the material at the start of the cut.  Oh… and thicker materials tend to release from the adhesive on the mat, so you may need to tape around the board to keep it from coming loose.

Hervé
    Participant

Hello Bruce,

I succeeded in cutting with my force foambord (sandwich foam+paper) 3mm and 5mm thick. BT 2.5, speed 25, 3 passes, Blade 60°, depth 60-270. I cut the material double-sided, the back with a mirror version of the drawing. Generally it works fine, the Force is accurate enough, but sometimes it may drift in Y direction (from some stepper steps I suspect) while cutting !? and no idea up to now, among other little bugs.

Regards

Sandy

In general, the reason for any kind of skewing is due to the blade being forced too quickly and/or too deeply through a material.  “Something” has to give and that is typically going to be the mat slipping under the wheels. A speed of 25 is quite fast for cutting a material that is requiring such a high BT and multiple passes.  Thus, my first recommendation would be to test at a speed of 10 and see if that improves the accuracy of the cut.

Hervé
    Participant

…I already tried speed cut of 15 with very same drifts.

I noticed no drift with pen, only with blade, no difference between 15 and 25 speed cut, no drift in X direction, only in Y, drifts may appear after a long move in Y direction (between 15/20cm), low BT improves.

When I pull by hand the mat, it does not slide into the wheels, but the Y axis and steppers are turning, as if the steppers were not enough strong.

Regards

yipsy
    Participant

hi there,

I’m currently looking at getting either the Force or Maxx Duo. My application will be to cut polyurethane foam sheets between 3 to 5mm thick.

My question is, will either of these models be able to do it? It seems like from Herve’s experience it can be done with multiple passes. Is this using the cutting blade or rotary blade?

Regards

Hervé
    Participant

Hello Yipsy,

I use the 60° blue cutting blade, and cut both side of the foamcore recto/verso. It works rather well up to details of 3mm, except sometimes the Force (C3+Inkscape) drifts or bugs.

Regards

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest