Force Y Position Off on Subsequent Passes

Computerized Cutting Systems and Supplies – KLIC-N-KUT Forums Cutters & Equipment KNK Force Force Y Position Off on Subsequent Passes

This topic contains 38 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ebdholland 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

ebdholland
    Participant

Using the KNK Force, blue blade, cutting chipboard.

Speeds are all set very slow, using four passes at the moment. Blade tension has been adjusted between 2.5 and 4, with the same results.

Regardless of the number of passes or the speed, the Y axis shifts when returning to the origin (about 1-2 mm). It seems to lift up and move after completing the first pass, causing things to be off. If not that, then it at least completes the first pass accurately and then moves. The alignment for the one-pass object checks out. X axis stays put and does not shift. I have tested this with my own file and also the 4″ Test Box file, with the same results. The 1″ test box cut fine, but anything that involves long Y travel throws it off. Successive passes like this leads to the cutter making strips out of the chipboard, which can clog the blade and jam the machine, not to mention that it does not give the desired result.

Any thoughts as to what the issue could be? I printed some mat guides to prevent skewing, and they do not seem to make any difference. I also have the material affixed at all four corners with tape to prevent slippage.

KNKForceProblem2a

The bottom right corner there is where pass two begins. In this image it is a little clearer that it is lifting between passes:

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 5.43.16 PM

Thanks for any help.

Sandy

You do not mention the settings you’re using but skewing happens any time the blade is being forced to cut  deeper and/or faster than that material can be cut.  In general you want to use the lowest possible BT that will still cut the material even if you need to use more passes and a much higher ED.  You also want to set an SD = ED/Passes so that the blade can gently work its way through the material rather than be forced too deep on any pass. If you continue having problems after using much gentler settings (but still achieving a clean cut), please start a support ticket with KNKUSA.

Sandy

You do not mention the settings you’re using but skewing happens any time the blade is being forced to cut  deeper and/or faster than that material can be cut.  In general you want to use the lowest possible BT that will still cut the material even if you need to use more passes and a much higher ED.  You also want to set an SD = ED/Passes so that the blade can gently work its way through the material rather than be forced too deep on any pass. If you continue having problems after using much gentler settings (but still achieving a clean cut), please start a support ticket with KNKUSA.

ebdholland
    Participant

What would be some suggested settings? I have tried the ones given in the manual for the thickest chipboard, and also something in between the two, but the results have been identical each time.

Sandy

What brand of chipboard is it and how thick?

ebdholland
    Participant

Chipboard is 1.2 mm. It’s dense, but easily bendable and not difficult to cut with a knife by hand. I have also dried it out and kept it humidity free. I restickied the mat, taped the material, and used these settings:

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 2.36.07 PM

Blade tension was 4. This was the result when it came time to do the second pass. Instead of over cutting the origin, it under cut it:

KNKErrorsRound2

The mat seems to have skewed some, and the material did not move on the mat itself. I am using the KNK mat guides, but I am not sure if they have helped or not, or even made it worse. Not really sure what else to try at this point.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  ebdholland.

Chad Youngblut
    Keymaster

Some chipboard can be more difficult than others. The chipboard you’re cutting is about 0.05″ which can sometimes be tricky.

Try lowering your blade tension and raising your ending depth. I’d suggest a blade tension of 3 and a ED around 180.

It’s worth mentioning that chipboard varies quite a bit from one brand to the next, and sometimes even with one batch to another, of the same brand. Given the values you’re having to use in relation to our suggested cut settings, I believe the product you are trying to cut may be a little on the dense side.

Since you’re cutting a thicker chipboard, an alternative option might be to cut a thinner chipboard and adhere two identical cuts on top of each other. We recently had a customer wanting to cut 0.06″ chipboard, and we found that it was far too dense and thick to cut well with the blade. However, two pieces of 0.03″ pieces cut beautifully.

I hope this helps!

ebdholland
    Participant

I tried reducing the starting depth to 10 and the BT to 2, but it still skews. Even moving the mat back and forth while preparing the job causes it to skew when the guides are used. Minimal skewing may be occurring without the guides installed, but it is hard to tell. Regardless, as soon as the job actually has to use the blade, skewing ensues.

I cannot glue two pieces together for this project, and it is the only project that I need the machine for.

Just for the sake of experimentation, I also tried cutting some cardstock, and received the same results (not using the guides). Skewing is still happening, even with minimal settings. Two passes will not align. I’m not even trying to cut through material at this point, I just want to see if two passes can align. Here were the settings I used. It was 110lb cardstock, but since it cannot even get past one pass I do not know if that really matters:

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 11.46.52 AM

Would the rotary tool help with this? Is the machine defective? Not really sure what to do at this point.

Chad Youngblut
    Keymaster

One last test: Put the pen in the jaw along with some plain white printer paper (on the cutting mat). Draw the same design in two passes. Adjust the starting and ending depth to match. Do this at a lower depth, (whatever you can get away with while still having enough pressure using the pen).

Also, check the left side of the grit shaft / roller bar and make sure it’s not separated from the side.

ebdholland
    Participant

Sorry for the delay, I had some things come up and I wanted a friend to test the material with his machine before replying.

The pen test works fine, even with ten passes.

The left and right of the grit shaft are equal in separation, about a mm from the sides.

My friend with the same machine, who tested the material before I bought my Force (and which was why I bought it, since it cut fine), re-verified that his does not have any issues making multiple passes. He used more aggressive setting as well: BT 2.5, starting depth 65, ending 115, speed 15. He did not get all of the way through it with five passes, but his machine did not have any of the multiple pass issues that mine is.

Any thoughts as to what might be the issue? I have already sent it back once after it arrived DOA, but if I need to start a support ticket then I will. Thanks for any help.

Sandy

Definitely start a support ticket so that you’ll receive a response from KNK USA quicker.  🙂

ebdholland
    Participant

Not really sure what to do at this point. I have contacted support multiple times, and have also contacted customer service. I cannot even get a non-automated courtesy reply, and the phone number is less than helpful. It has been well over a month, almost closer to two, at this point. Not really sure how to address this if the company is not going to reply to its customers.

Sandy

What is your ticket number? You WILL get a response on Monday.

ebdholland
    Participant

Ticket 14646.

Sandy

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Web Statistics