Glitch while cutting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

I have had three projects glitch on me in two days. About half-way to two-thirds of the way through a cutting project the blade chatters across the surface leaving a zig-zag cut. The blade moves across the media to one side of the machine and continues to try and cut but can’t seem to move. Machine has to be shut down to stop it.

Chad Youngblut
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

Not quite sure what would cause it to actually Zig-zag. Would you say it might be more of a “chattering”? Where the blade is skittering across the surface? This would look almost like a perforation.

Lauren
    Participant

I am having the same problem with my Maxx air (I have mine plugged into the computer). It will be cutting fine and then it suddenly makes a chattering noise and the blade is shakily dragged back to the corner and the only way to stop it is by turning it off (pause doesn’t work). Its happened two out of my last three times i have tried cutting a project today.

Lauren
    Participant

I was able to get a really quick video of it doing the chattering thing (link below). I am just cutting on Neehah 110 lb coverstock. If you look at the cover picture of it you can see the shaky line it dragged through the paper the previous time i tried to cut that it did it.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Lauren.
    Chad Youngblut
    Keymaster

Hi Lauren,

This seems to be related to the limit switch. It’s an optic sensor, so if something has gotten on the eye, it may be causing this to jam against the side, instead of stop like it should. If you don’t mind, please give Ron a call at 800-268-3672 and he should be able to give you a few things to try.

Mike
    Participant

Here is an image from my original post. This is the cut that is made as the blade chatters across my vinyl and leaves the zig-zag cut. I have not been able to capture video but it is similar to the other video posted.

http://postimg.org/image/xbfzibw2j/

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Mike.
    Lauren
    Participant

Okay I will do that! Thank you for the help. Thats why I went with a KNK machine for all the available help.

Ken Horstman
    Participant

As a new owner I’m just Learning how to use the machine but I’m having this same problem as well. As any other answers come up

Chad Youngblut
    Keymaster

Hi kenjh,

If you’re having a similar issue, the optic limit switch might just need to be slightly adjusted, as like above, I suggest giving Ron a call at 800-268-3672, and he should be able to walk you through this. It’s quite simple and you should be up and running quickly!

Take care.

rubicongums.3
    Participant

I have just sent in a support ticket as i’m in Australia. My Zing seems to be doing similar by running across the project making a really loud clunking noise on it’s way back to home point (like it is quickly jumping all the way back). I turn off and it stops and when i turn it on it resumes to home point with no problems. This is happening more often. It doesn’t seem to be cutting whilst doing this but I think once, it cut a straight line on its way back. It will also do it during a project, no matter the size. I also worry that it will break the blade and they are not cheap enough to keep replacing over and over. Any help is appreciated.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by rubicongums.3.
    Mike
    Participant

kenjh & rubicongums.3,

This glitch seems to be an issue when using a Mac and the WINE translation software that it needs to process a project. What solved the issue for me was to Enable Data Throttling. It seems that the data from my computer was processing faster than the cutter could handle it. You can find the steps to do this on page 245 of the Zing Maunel (http://www.iloveknk.com/0um/KNKZing/KNKZingwithMTCUserManual.pdf). I ultimately needed to set my data throttle to “Pause every 1 command(s) for 15 ms.”

Jo
    Participant

Thanks, Michael. I have had the same issue occasionally, only when cutting very large and complex patterns. I also run Mac/WINE. Just checked and my data throttling was set to “Pause every 1 command for 10ms”. I’ve changed it to 15; let us see if that makes a difference.

For the record, I’ve been able to rescue the cut patterns. If you have a complex pattern, use these safeguards:

a) Line up that laser dot _really accurately_ on the corner of the paper before cutting.
    b) Be sure that your project is saved as a .mtc file before cutting.
    c) If your cutter makes the juddering noise, hit the power button immediately. You’ll probably need to restart the software after it loses connection to the machine, which is why you need step (b). Open up the .mtc file again.
    d) Remove your project from the cutter, examine it to see what it has cut.
    e) Edit the nodes in MTC and remove everything that has been cut already.
    f) Reload the project, line up that laser dot in exactly the same spot, and cut the remainder.

Chad Youngblut
    Keymaster

Hi Michael & Jo,

Thanks for the info, and do let us know if that helps! Typically, raising the amount of ms does the trick, but complex images might require a little more.

Talk soon!

kaitlin
    Participant

I’m having this exact issue – I’m on a Mac (OS 10.10.5), and when I’m cutting out a complex shape (such as a repeating detailed pattern for a stencil), the zing gets about 1/4 of the way through, then makes a scary crunching noise and a zig-zag cut diagonally to the edge where it seems to jitter in the spot until I turn the machine off.
    Normal cuts are fine, so far it’s only the most complex ones.
    My data throttling was initially pause every 2 commands for 10ms, so at the suggestion above I changed it to pause every 1 command for 15ms. Unfortunately it did the same thing, though it got a bit further through the cut before zig zagging away.
    Should I try another data throttling setting? Pause every 1 command for 20ms…? Not sure if a too-slow setting will cause other issues.
    Any help would be appreciated!

Chad Youngblut
    Keymaster

Hi Kaitlin,

Yes, try raising the MS to 20 or higher. Keep raising the number in steps of 5 until the machine reacts as expected.

Hope this helps!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest