KNK Element and Windows 10

This topic contains 21 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sandy 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Sandy

Are you in the US? If so, then maybe it’s the converter cable… I don’t know that EVERY serial-to-usb converter cable is the same but I might be able to find one that has been used in the past with a KNK that IS the right kind.

Sandy

I just realized my last post made it sound like the converter cable might not be compatible IF you’re in the US!  lol  That’s not what I meant at all. I guess I was really tired when I wrote it. My asking if you were in the US was based on the fact I could check to see if I have a spare and verify it works with my Element and then sell it to you as a slightly used part.  Alternatively, I can also ask some customers I still recall using one what brand they purchased. I remember at least taking note of at least one that kind that is sold on Amazon.

chrishogg27
    Participant

It would be awesome if you do have a spare cable that you could sell me.  I am in Canada but only 45 minutes from the US border.  There is a company on the US side that accepts packages (for a fee) on behalf of Canadian customers.  Even just mailing to me here in Canada could be an option.  Let me know.  Thanks so much!

Sandy

Sure I can do that.  Let me pull out my stash today and then confirm that what I have is working on my Win 10 computer from SCAL.   Please go ahead and email me at smccauley45@cox.net so we can then work on this more directly. Thanks!

Sandy

You’re in luck!  I found a spare RS232 serial plus converter and I hooked them up, tested from SCAL and all is good.  So, again, just email me at smccauley45@cox.net and you can provide your mailing address on this side of the border.  🙂

mmattice
    Participant

Hi! I am sorry to hijack the thread. I just inherited a KNK Element. It only came with a USB cable. I went through all of what you suggested here and realize I have the older model as well. Did you figure out exactly what type of cable is required so I can purchase the right one? I see there is a serial to USB available for purchase on the site. Is that the one I need?

I am laughing since I am also in Canada about 45 mins from the border with a US mailbox.

Thanks in advance,
    Maryanne

Sandy

We seem to have a lot of Canadians using US mailboxes!  That’s nice when you’re close to the border.  🙂

Yes, that converter cable will work. HOWEVER, you also need an RS232 9 pin serial cable as well. There would have been one shipped with the Element originally but I guess the first owner must have tossed it.  🙁    Unfortunately, only using the converter doesn’t work even though it seems like it would based on having a serial end and a USB end.  You need to plug the converter into the cable, not directly into the Element.   But you should be able to find an RS 232 serial cable fairly easily to buy.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest