KNK Studio Maxx & Windows 10

This topic contains 19 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sandy 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

vsolosky
    Participant

Gah!  I’ve just updated to windows 10 and am trying to work on my KNK files and it keeps telling me possible error with license file and about the security key.  But the license files are where they belong…is there something I need to do?  Help!!!

Thanks!!!!

Sandy

More than likely, when you upgraded, the Machine ID assigned by KNK Studio changed. That often happens with things like reformatting the hard drive or even executing a restore on Windows.  You will need to reregister KNK Studio.  So, located the 10 digit Activation Code that looks like this:

XXXX   XXXX   XX

Then reinstall KNK Studio using this link:  http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/Software/KNK-Studio-for-Maxx-and-Groove-E/

Be careful!  You can only do this once per year.  So make sure everything seems to be working correctly with your other programs since the the Windows 10 upgrade.

vsolosky
    Participant

You rock!!!  That worked!! Thank you soooo very much!!!  Have a Happy 4th!!

paul.cushing
    Participant

Sandy, I am getting back to using the Maxx and I have a new laptop I got for Xmas and loaded an older version of Studio (the version that came with the cutter) and put in the activation code and everything worked fine. I want to use the above link to upgrade but wanted to make sure it should work and not cause any registration problems.

Paul

Sandy

Paul, I am so sorry to be delayed in finding this post!  You have to be careful about upgrading.   Back up, into My Documents or wherever, four files called Products from your c:\Klic-N-Kut Studio folder.   Then you can download and install the Feb 2010 version linked above. Then copy and paste back those four files.  Then you should be upgraded. If you have problems beyond that, contact KNK USA using their ticket system or calling in and talking to Ron or Chad.

IMakeMinis
    Participant

I have not used my KNK MAXX in several years.  My KNK software was on an old laptop.  I recently loaded and updated the software to my newer computer.  Everything was working fine until last night when I downloaded a Windows update.  Now I’m getting the message to complete an online registration.  I read the post saying you can only update the software from the website once a year and since I just updated about a week ago I’m wondering what to do now.  The program is frozen.  I completed the Registration form on the KNK website and received a message saying someone contact me.  Please tell me, can I download the software again?  I have my original CD and the numbers required.

Sandy

Unfortunately, the update caused KNK Studio to see the computer as a new one. There’s nothing that can be done until next week because both KNK USA and CADLink are closed.   While waiting, go to this link below.  Please read and follow the instructions and then next week you should receive your new license files.

Windows 10 Version 1703 (OS build 15063) Update and KNK Studio licensing issues

IMakeMinis
    Participant

Thank you Sandy.  Unfortunately I found the form online and completed it prior to asking for help on this forum.  I realize now I entered the software ID in place of the machine ID. After reading your reply I followed all the instructions and correctly entered my machine ID.  Hopefully I will receive a new license file with the correct machine ID information.  Thank you for you timely reply.

Sandy

The initial one you submitted will be rejected since CADLink’s system knows what is or is not a legit Machine ID.  Hopefully you won’t have to wait long to get your files… fingers crossed!  If you don’t have them by Tuesday, post back and I’ll have Chad contact CADLink to see if “the guy” who processes these is back to work yet.

IMakeMinis
    Participant

Thank you Sandy.  Anxiously waiting to get started using my KNK again.

IMakeMinis
    Participant

Hi Sandy, I haven’t hear anything from CADLink yet regarding the new license files for KNK Studio Maxx.  I’m sure they are really busy after being off for the holidays.  Hoping to hear from them soon.  Also can you tell me if I need to download updated drivers for the KNK Maxx or are any updated drivers included in the new files when they arrive?  Thanks again.

Sandy

I’ll have KNK try contacting CADLink today.  And no, you won’t receive new drivers… only the license files for the software itself.

It never hurts to install the latest driver, just in case.  To do this, unplug the Maxx from your computer. Then go here and scroll down to the table and on the far right column, click on “setup executable”. Install that file and reboot Windows. Wait for Windows to full come back up and then plug in the Maxx. The driver will then install and you should be able to see what Com Port gets assigned in a popup message. If not, go to Windows Device Manager and open the Ports folder. The USB-Serial assignment will show the Com Port. Then you can plug that into KNK Studio Maxx.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

Sandy

I’ll have KNK try contacting CADLink today.  And no, you won’t receive new drivers… only the license files for the software itself.

It never hurts to install the latest driver, just in case.  To do this, unplug the Maxx from your computer. Then go here and scroll down to the table and on the far right column, click on “setup executable”. Install that file and reboot Windows. Wait for Windows to full come back up and then plug in the Maxx. The driver will then install and you should be able to see what Com Port gets assigned in a popup message. If not, go to Windows Device Manager and open the Ports folder. The USB-Serial assignment will show the Com Port. Then you can plug that into KNK Studio Maxx.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

IMakeMinis
    Participant

Thanks for the link.  I installed newest driver, but still no contact regarding the license files for KNK Studio.  Is there another software program that works with the KNK Maxx?

Sandy

You should have your registration files via email. They come from CADLink Technologies and be sure to check your spam folder. If you cannot locate them, then I’ll need your name. If don’t want to post it here, please email it to me at smccauley45@cox.net and I can request they be sent to you again.

Your Maxx also cuts from two other programs: Make The Cut (MTC) and Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL).  MTC is mostly abandonware now so we don’t encourage it.   SCAL releases updates regularly and has some signficant advantages over MTC and even KNK Studio.  Let me know if I can help you with specific questions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest