Lines cutting twice?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sandy 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Carey
    Participant

I created an image in Photoshop — just a bunch of round-cornered rectangles, saved it as a .png, then traced into SCAL.  I send it to the cutter, and it cuts each line twice.  The machine is no speed demon, and the extra pass is driving me nuts.  I have multi-pass turned off, and I was careful not to duplicate the objects in Photoshop.  Anybody else have this problem?

Sandy

The most common reason this happens is that the image you created isn’t a solid fill, so the software, like ALL vector tracing programs, will trace both the inside AND the outside of a line. This is commonly referred to as a “coloring book image” because it’s basically just an outline or frame drawing.  Have a look at what would happen when doing a basic trace on two different tree designs below. In the lower example, regardless of how thin the line of the tree design is made, there will still be TWO cut lines because the tree is “empty” inside. Does that make sense?

In SCAL’s trace window there’s also a Blackout option which remove internal cut lines… which would work with my sample tree below but then there are also occasions which you wouldn’t want ALL of the internal cut lines blacked out.  For now, see if this is the issue you’re having. If not, then please email both the PNG and you’re resulting .SCUT4 file to: smccauley45@cox.net.  Thanks! We’ll get it figured out.

Capture

Carey
    Participant

Of course!  I think I had hit that before, but didn’t remember when I encountered it today.  Thanks for the quick response!

Sandy

You’re welcome!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest