macOS Catalina

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Timothy
    Participant

Hi –

I recently updated my Mac OS to Catalina and am now having trouble opening MTC (won’t open).

Any chance these two are related and if so – any recommended work arounds?

Thank you,

Tim

Sandy

Make the Cut is a 32 bit program and Catalina requires all programs to be 64 bit.  Thus, you and many others can no longer use MTC. The developer of the program has also abandoned support and development of his software.

You have 3 options:

(1) Go back to High Sierra.  If you need to reinstall MTC and have any issues, post back and I’ll help.

(2) Buy a cheap PC and run MTC on it.

(3) Switch to Sure Cuts A Lot 5 which will also work with any KNK cutter  and has a “true” Mac version that’s kept up to date.  There are two versions depending on your needs.  Please browse this document if you’re interested in SCAL5. I do highly recommend it, especially for those on a Mac.

Click to access SCAL5-Pro-Features.pdf

The only issue is that SCAL cannot import .mtc files so if you have past files you need to use, then they will need to be converted into SVG.

You can download a 15 day trial of SCAL here: http://craftedge.com/download/download.html

I believe it can’t save files while in trial mode and will cut lines through anything you send to your cutter. But otherwise you can see how it works.

Let me know if you any other questions.

Timothy
    Participant

Sandy – thank  you so much for this advice. I’ve gone ahead and purchased SCAL PRO from KNK however I don’t seem to be able to locate the serial # for my license in order to register and get the program up and running full.  I’ve tried calling Accugraphics/KNK as well as posting a plea for help on their support forum however both have been unsuccessful in getting a response.  Any advice on how to locate this information?  Unless I’m completely blind – the serial # is not on either of the two confirmation emails I received from my purchase.

Thank you,

Tim

Sandy

Tim, I’ll get a message to Chad right now.  Be sure to check your spam folder. The email MAY come from Plotter Geeks versus KNK USA.

Sandy

You registration has been issued by KNK USA a second time. If you still cannot find the email, please contact me at smccauley45@cox.net and I’ll provide it to you.

Timothy
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Got it. Thank to for the assist.
    This time the serial number was included. I’m up and running.
    Again, thanks.
    Tim</p>

Sandy

Good to read!  And you’re welcome.

Timothy
    Participant

Sandy – I took your advice and upgraded to SCAL 5 PRO for my MacBook to work with my Maxx Air.  Thank you for pointing me in that direction.

I’ve found the Maxx Air / SCAL 5 user manual and navigated to 1.09 to install the drivers for Mac OS from the FTDI Website.

In watching the 2 min video tutorial for downloading the drivers I got lost at about 36 seconds in and it goes way beyond my tech skills from there with all the manual steps required.

Is this video the best resource for downloading the drivers and get SCAL 5 communicating with the Maxx Air?  Is there any way or resource from which to get some sort of tech hand-holding to help me with this?

Thanks for your help.

Tim

Sandy

Did you try it without reinstalling the driver? I never had to do that even after updating to Catalina.  And the driver is the same for MTC and for SCAL.

If it’s not connecting, show me a screenshot of two windows:

Cutter>Cutter Settings

And then Cutter>Cut with KNK

That will help me make sure it’s not something else.  Thanks!

Sandy

Timothy
    Participant

Thank you.

I’ve not installed the D2XX drivers – just followed the SCAL instructions up to the point of telling me to do so and then got scared away by the video tutorial.

I will give it a shot w/out the D2XX drives and see what happens.

Thank you.

Sandy

To see if the Maxx Air is connected to your Mac, turn it on and then, under your Apple button select About This Mac. This run a System Report.  And then click on the USB item in the left menu.  Then see if there’s something like FT232R USB UART on the right side. That’s the Maxx Air unless you have othe similar cutters hooked up at the same time.  🙂

Timothy
    Participant

something like this, I am hoping..

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 6.03.15 PM

Sandy

There it is. You’re ready to go.   Let me direct you a bit differently than before because the Cutter Settings window should be accessed from the Cut Settings window (different windows) instead of from the Cutter menu because you need to make sure Maxx Air is selected, since that’s your cutter model.  So, open the Cut Settings window where you see things like Pressure and Speed and make sure Maxx Air is selected under Model.  Then click on the Settings button the right and make sure the Baud Rate matches whatever you have set on your Maxx Air control panel.  Then, back in Cut Settings window, click on the Test Connection button and see if your MA responds.

Timothy
    Participant

Sandy- thanks for the cut settings help.  Right now I’m having trouble even getting that far.  I’m trying to import an image for tracing – which is pretty much the default first step for all my projects – and every time I go to press “OK” after the image is loaded in the preview box, the program just quits.  Seems to happen for any type of image I select…..jpeg; .png.; .pdf….

So – can’t figure out how to load an image to even get to the printing step.  Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

And let me just say, Sandy, you are far and away the best part of my experience to date with KNK and whatever software interface I’ve used..MTC or now SCAL.  As you can tell from all my posts, I’m not the most technically savvy person when it comes to software and computers so all your help is incredibly appreciated.

I don’t know of your official affiliation with either Accugraphics, KNK or whoever, but given the lack of  formal “Help” resources, if there was every a way to contract you for some official help, and pay you for your time accordingly, I’d be extremely interested in doing so.  My needs for the software and plotter are very consistent from project to project.  So besides just getting the new software up and running and communicating w/the plotter, the things I need to figure out how to do on the software are not that complicated.

Right now, without being able to load an image for tracing without crashing the program, I am pretty much dead in the water.  Any thought on progressing past that stage or troubleshooting would be welcome, to say the least.

Thank you.  Tim

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest