Media gets torn during cutting

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Sandy 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

jbhk
    Participant

Hello, new to Zing Air.

I am trying to cut a fusible washaway medium (sort of like felt-y paper or the stablizer used for embroidery).  It gets torn along the cut path, especially at the corners (the critical point for me).  The cut is deep enough (goes into mat  🙁  The mat is new, hence sticky.  Ironing to something won’t work, as it is fusible.

I have tried a regular blade and the fabric blade.  I used the settings suggested for felt in the table for speed, number of cuts, and force.  There are so many factors, it is bafffling to know which to try to vary.  Suggestions?

Sandy

One of the causes of tearing can be having too much blade exposed.  Certainly, if you have cut lines in the mat, then that’s also indicative of too much blade.  Reduce the exposure so that you still get a very clean cut but have no lines or only faint lines in the cutting mat.  You might want to reread Section 2.01 so that you better understand these various factors which affect the quality of cutting.

Another thing that might prove useful… check out this troubleshooting flow chart:  http://www.iloveknk.com/2015/06/test-cutting-materials-a-troubleshooting-flow-chart/

And if you still have issues, definitely post back!  We’ll help you get it figured out! 🙂

jbhk
    Participant

I certainly am glad you’re here to help. I asked for the Zing Air as a birthday gift, but I can’t get it to do the job I want.

I re-read 2.01 and read the flow chart.
    I did the test with two layers of material for the initial blade exposure
    First cut still marked mat and tore material.
    Backed blade in what i think was a quarter turn. Still marked mat and tore material. Repeated. No mark on mat but still tore material.
    Flow chart suggested reducing force. Started at 80, backed to 70 and again to 60. Not marking mat but still tearing corners, particularly the 45 degree ones. 70 cut so that shape separated, but 60 it was still attached in a couple of places so I stopped

Attaching pictures in case it gives more clues

Will welcome any more suggestionsshowing incomplete cut

jbhk
    Participant

I certainly am glad you’re here to help. I asked for the Zing Air as a birthday gift, but I can’t get it to do the job I want.

I re-read 2.01 and read the flow chart.
    I did the test with two layers of material for the initial blade exposure
    First cut still marked mat and tore material.
    Backed blade in what i think was a quarter turn. Still marked mat and tore material. Repeated. No mark on mat but still tore material.
    Flow chart suggested reducing force. Started at 80, backed to 70 and again to 60. Not marking mat but still tearing corners, particularly the 45 degree ones. 70 cut so that shape separated, but 60 it was still attached in a couple of places so I stopped

Attaching pictures in case it gives more clues

Will welcome any more suggestionsshowing incomplete cut

MEGAN WILKINSON
    Participant

I just received the KNK Zing for Christmas.  Cardstock came with the machine …I assume for practicing.  However, I’ve tried different blade depth, blade force, cutting speed, and multiple cuts and still not been able to puncture all the way through the cardstock. I’ve measured the thickness and it’s not very thick.  I’ve read the owner’s manual for both MTK and SCAL for Zing and they say pretty much the same thing.  I’ve even gone a far as cutting extremely slow and highest force and still did not cut through the cardstock that was provided.  What the heck am I doing wrong.  I even watched videos.  HELP…HELP…HELP…HELP.

Sandy

How are you setting the blade tip height above the material?  Not the length/exposure but the height?  This is important in terms of getting the best punch room. I recommend using 25 Post It notes, with that set on top of the cardstock, which is on top of the mat.

Also, be sure to try the other blade, just in case the original blade is faulty.

Then, if you still can’t cut cardstock contact KNK USA. They will help you resolve this issue. You can either call in: 800-268-3672 or start a support ticket: http://knkusa.com/support-ticket-request/

mewilk74
    Participant

Where do I enter the blade height?  I was wondering if my red blade was not sharp.  It tears very small pieces of paper as if dragging over the cardstock.  I will try post it notes on top.  I’ve even made several cuts of the heart design.  A simple design yet still not cutting.  By the time I get home from work you all are closed to call.  Are you open on Saturday’s so I can call?

Darrel Farris
    Keymaster

Blade height isn’t a setting that you enter in software; it’s literally the physical height of your blade over the material you’re cutting.  Your blade should definitely not drag over the top of the cardstock unless it’s supposed to be cutting something.

Check out this video for a demonstration: https://vimeo.com/43639078

This video shows how to test for proper blade exposure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws7EwSR-Z-Y

This page on Sandy’s web site has both links to the user manual and a big selection of videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/zing/

The office is closed on weekends, but I would encourage you to make liberal use of the video resources along with the manual as they’re often better aids than someone on the other end of a phone who can’t see what you’re doing!  The user manual is more like a tutorial that teaches you both hardware and software aspects of using your machines; it’s an indispensable resource.

The most important part is to have fun!  Expect to make mistakes and fumble here and there as you learn these new tools, but remember… fun!  🙂

mewilk74
    Participant

Well, after looking at both my red and blue blades, they both are chipped.  Maybe that is why I’m having so much trouble.  Now I have to purchase some blades and pray that the machine will start cutting.  If not, I’m returning it.

mewilk74
    Participant

<!–more–>Well, after looking at both my red and blue blades, they both are chipped.  Maybe that is why I’m having so much trouble.  Now I have to purchase some blades and pray that the machine will start cutting.  If not, I’m returning it.

Sandy

Are you positive they are both chipped?  The blades have a cut back in order to reduce the blade offset required.   Here’s a photo of a good blade:

Good blade with cutback

And then here are some photos of chipped blades. Note that it’s the very point of the blade that’s damaged:

Chip2Chip1Chip3Chip4Chip5

waztinasmith
    Participant

Hi not sure how to start a new question.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cutting “Stampin up” cardstock.  The basic in colour card seems to tear where as I can work out settings for the thinner patterned papers.  I have set the the blade height and cut depth as suggested.

Thanks Tina

Sandy

Tina, which model of KNK do you own?

waztinasmith
    Participant

Hi Sandy

Thanks for answering- my model is a Zing z1450.

Sandy

I’m sorry… I have no clue what a z1450 is???  Is this a Zing, Zing Air, or a Zing Orbit?   If you’re not sure then when did you purchase this and from where?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Web Statistics