New to using 2016 model Force

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sandy 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

christyjhicks
    Participant

So, I purchased this unit almost two years ago, but have just been too busy to try it out.  Dug it out and I’m just having a few issues that I can’t seem to resolve.  Some are basic questions and others are problems.  Here goes:

the unit is pinch roller feed, and the material I bought, Oracal 951 vinyl, is 15″ wide, so using the left side cutter, I have to have the vinyl sort of centered on the bed, and I haven’t found a good way to make sure it is perfectly straight.  If I roll it back and forth to check for straightness, the rollers seem to start puckering the material.  I can get it pretty much perfectly straight but a few 24″ forward and back and you can see visible humping of the material.  It’s enough that when cutting,  I have to babysit the machine and occasionally relieve tension on a roller to let it lay back flat, and this happens when using only two or using three rollers.

I get tear-out on the inside point of like an a, g, d, or an N.  I settled on cutting depth of 14, slowed my cutting speed to 18, have the blade properly set to cut through the material and not through the paper backing. Is this to be expected?

I did the “make your own washer trick” for the blade using a fairly thing laminate but had to use all four of them to avoid tearing the paper. . . is this normal?

Thanks for any new user advice you can send my way!

Sandy

What blade tension are you using?

christyjhicks
    Participant

I have the blade tension on 1, and even tried a brand new blade to make sure there wasn’t a problem with it from practicing.  Turning the tension a little higher didn’t seem to help.  Thx

Sandy

Sorry for the delay!

Regarding the bunching up of the vinyl, make sure your pinch wheels and grit shafts are really clean. A little bit of stickness can cause the vinyl to hang up a bit. I use iso-propyl alcohol on a lint-free cloth to clean mine, when needed.

With vinyl, I use a BT of 0.5.  There’s no marking for that, but if you have it at 1, just rotate the top about two revolutions counter-clockwise and that’s what I’m using.  You’ll then probably need to increase the CD but this is the key to getting more consistent cutting across a wide project. Ron at KNK USA told me about this and also suggested using a wide thin rectangle to verify the cut is even from left to right… after doing my small test cut to make sure the CD is sufficient. If any part of the rectangle isn’t cleanly cut, then increase the CD more. As long as the BT is this low you shouldn’t end up having too much cutting depth elsewhere.

Sandy

One more thing: I only use two pinch wheels and not three… only the outside locations.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Web Statistics