Print and cut unable to find registration mark after calibrating

Computerized Cutting Systems and Supplies – KLIC-N-KUT Forums Cutters & Equipment KNK Zing / Air / Orbit Print and cut unable to find registration mark after calibrating

This topic contains 18 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sandy 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

don
    Participant

Hello,

I have an Orbit and I’m using SCAL 4 Pro.  I updated the firmware to the latest and I’m on Windows 10.  I went through the process of calibrating using a vector arrow in SCAL and tweaking the settings in the calibration micro adjustment settings window.  My arrow was close enough to test something else.  Now, when I print my vector image and place it in the cutter for registration location , the cuter correctly finds the first mark, then moves past the second mark (the lower left mark.)  The registration marks on my image are square so it’s not like there’s a long side and a short side.  The image is a vector generated by Adobe Illustrator CS6 and imported into SCAL.  Any ideas what could be happening?

Carey
    Participant

Here’s the mistake I made:  I had registration marks on both the media I was cutting and on the image I was sending to the cutter.  You should have the reg marks on just the media you’re cutting.  Not on the digital image you’re sending to the cutter.  Don’t know if that will help.  Hope so –

Sandy

I’m glad you figured that out.  If you have further issues, please post again.

don
    Participant

Hi Sandy, that was Carey’s response. I’m still having the issue.

Carey, thank you for responding. I’ve only got one set of registration marks on my image so I don’t think that’s the issue on this particular case.

Sandy

Don, can you please post a screenshot from SCAL showing the project.  Also, the Layers Panel.  And then here are a few questions:

(1) Is all the printing done from SCAL?

(2) Have you made any changes to the reg mark settings under Cutter>Cutter Settings?

(3) I assume you updated the firmware BEFORE calibrating?  And is your Zing Orbit from 2017?  You don’t want to update the firmware on a 2018 model.

don
    Participant

Absolutely.  Screenshot attached.

1. Yes – I print from inside SCAL to a network laser printer.  I see the image I want and the four registration marks clearly.
    2. No changes.  In fact, these are the same settings I used just prior when I did my calibration with the built-in vector arrows from the library.  I just removed the arrows and brought in my vector image from AI.
    3. I updated prior to calibrating (I think I recall seeing that part in the steps.)  I purchased it May 5, 2018.

I’m assuming the issue is most likely the firmware, based on your question and me updating it.  I happened to notice the date on the firmware was late 2017 if I recall correctly.

Capture

Sandy

Okay, I’m fairly certain it’s a firmware issue as well.  If you bought it new from KNK USA, then for sure, updating the firmware is going to mess up the scaling which sounds like why the head is going to the wrong registration mark. So, connect via USB and then update to this version at this link:

http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/Software/ZO-Firmware-for-NewZOs/

You’ll need to then do the Sizing Calibration first: Section 2.08

Then do the Optic Eye / PNC Calibration again using the arrows: Section 11.03

Then test your project.  Fingers crossed!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Sandy.

don
    Participant

SCAL is telling me it’s a bad bin file.  The previous file didn’t have an issue.  I also restarted SCAL and tested the connection.  Is there another version of the file somewhere possibly?

Sandy

Let me see what I can find out. Sorry it didn’t work.  🙁

Sandy

Okay, I found the version before the one you tested. I also zipped it, just in case.  So, go to the same link I posted before and you’ll find the earlier version instead.

don
    Participant

No apology necessary for the file. Thank you for your help!  I’m hoping this isn’t a SCAL issue.  It seems like SCAL is trying to validate the file, possibly, before sending it to the device. This is only a guess based on how fast the dialog pops up when I select the file. Anyway, thanks again for the help.

don
    Participant

Fantastic. I’ll take a look tonight when I get home . Thanks!

Sandy

lol We just posted like at the same time. Note my prior email.   Also, what exact version of SCAL are you running?  If this file doesn’t work, then I will test myself.

don
    Participant

So the second file was accepted by SCAL.  I can’t test it at the moment but I will tomorrow night.  I have the original settings so I’m hoping that manually feeding the adjustments back in will get me back to where I was before I updated the firmware.  Am I shooting in the right direction or do I need to calibrate from the beginning?

Sandy

If you did the sizing calibration AFTER you installed that other update, you’ll need to repeat it. There was some kind of scaling change between those ZO’s manufactured before October 2017 and after 2017.  So, that definitely needs to be redone. And then, the same thing could apply to the PNC calibration. If it were me, I would definitely check both before using any “good materials” in my cutter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest