Problems Cutting

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    stick484
    Participant

Hello everyone. Let me first start by saying that I almost never ask for help with this sort of stuff. I usually search around and find my answer. But I still can’t quite get things to work right. I have a Zing from about 3 to 4 years ago. I had a red blade installed that work great for a long time. I primarily use it to print and cut t-shirt transfer material. I used it casually for a few years so I never had to install a new blade in that time. So now I am in the middle of starting a business and I just about ready to launch so I decided to install a brand new blade and now everything is out of wack. I first followed the directions from the manual and then I watch all sort of videos. So I current set up is with a blue holder with the blade just barely sticking out. I tested it by using it on the material I am using to see if I had the length just right. I also have it raised off the mat about 25 post-it notes plus the material I am cutting. The offset is at 25. I have tried to change the offset up and down but 25-30 seems to be giving the optimal sharp corners. I am also using speed of 10 and force of 12 which cuts through the material and just scores the backing, which is exactly what I am looking for. I am also using the most current MTC and Zing plugin.

So my problem is that I am getting jagged lines. Almost like it is not cutting the paper but dragging and pulling. At first I thought it was just small cuts that where the problem but now it is even some bigger cuts. It will usually cut a corner fine but then cut funny after it makes the turn or on a curved edge. I thought maybe it was the blade so I bought a pack of new red blades and 12×12 mats. But I am still having the problem. It would be one thing if I have never used this material before but I have and it has always cut perfect. I have done a ton of test cuts using a arrow and a bow, big and small, and for the most part I thought I had it fine tuned with maybe a little hang up here and there. But when I do one of my custom designs I get these jagged edges and lines. And the weirdest thing is that it is not consistent. Some areas cut great and others start have that jagged edge which usually does not cut all the way through. I have used these designs before with no problems so I don’t think it is the designs either.

So all of that being said if anyone has any information that you think maybe helpful I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Chad Youngblut
    Keymaster

Hi Stick484,

This almost sounds like the blade isn’t swivelling properly in the bladeholder. Try taking the blade out, replacing it with a different one (most likely chipped if not spinning correctly). Now take the small spring and actually snip it in half. Put the bladeholder back together with the bade and newly-snipped spring and try again.

Let me know how that works!

Talk soon.

stick484
    Participant

The blade not swiveling properly sure seems to make sense. I followed your advice and although it seems like it might be cutting a little better in the bigger areas it still struggling with the small detail. I also tried different transfer paper that does not weed as easily and the cuts are still jagged. Is it possible that the blade holder is damaged some how? Thanks for the advice and help.

Chad Youngblut
    Keymaster

Hmm. I suppose it is possible. If you could send an email to use by clicking here, I can see about getting you a replacement bearing for inside the holder.

Talk soon!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest