Red Blade Issues, KNK Force

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kristine 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Kristine
    Participant

RedBladeProblems1RedBladeProblems2RedBladeProblems3RedBladeProblems5RedBladeProblems4Hello: I’m having some issues with new red blades I just purchased on 3/24/19 for my KNK Force. I submitted a support ticket through the KNK USA website on 4/9/19, but haven’t yet gotten a response. I then posted to the FB page on 4/17/19, but no response yet. Here’s what’s going on:

Of the 5 red blades I just purchased for my KNK Force, 3 of them have given me significant problems with cutting heavy card stock. I also had a problem with 1 blade out of my last batch, which was ordered in 11/2017. So, unfortunately, 4 red blades have been mostly useless right out of the box.

The issues I’m having are: tear out, not cutting all the way through, or scraping the surface of the paper off along the cut lines, all after only a few cuts. The first few pieces that I cut will be OK, but the longer I cut, the more issues occur. In trying to determine the problem, I’ve tried cutting multiple weights of paper; adjusted blade tension, cutting speed, number of cuts, cut depth; and, I’ve “replaced tool” numerous times.

Project: Pieces for slice form projects, however, nothing super intricate.

Type of Paper: Heavy card stock, Bazzill; approx. 110lb.; lightly textured, pearl finish

Blade: New, red, w/spring (In examining the blades closely that are causing tear out, at least 2 of them have chips in them after very light use. (Another got thrown away, so I don’t know if that one was also chipped.) I think this may be one of the culprits, but why would brand new blades chip on card stock, not having cut even one entire 12″ x 12″ sheet?

Cut Depth: With one pass have tried from 90-125. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t cut even half-way through. Multiple passes don’t really work for these patterns. If the cuts are even slightly off, which happens sometimes, it just ruins more pieces.

Blade Tension: have tried from 1 to 2

Wheels: Have tried w/and w/o center wheel. Doesn’t seem to make a difference.

Mat: I always firmly tape my paper to the mat with painter’s tape to avoid slippage and use the mat guides.

In further tests, I went back to using an old red blade from a batch I ordered in 11/2017 and that one works as expected. I would appreciate replacement blades send to me, but I also want to understand what’s happening. What are your thoughts on this? Thank you!

Sandy

Try this… with the blade holder cap removed but the blade still inserted into the little hole, try swiveling/rotating the blade with your fingers. It should be nice and smooth. Then try inserting one of the “bad blades” into the hole and rotating. Does there seem to be any resistance in comparison?  A few of the Zing Orbit owners have had issues with newer blades doing the same thing… not cutting well/consistently and applying some WD 4o inside the little hole rectified the issue.

Also, if I were cutting heavily textured Bazzill on the Force, I would DEFINITELY be using a BT of 1, 2 passes and SD = ED / 2.  I think 2 passes is critical in getting great cuts from cardstock.  So, when you get ready to test again, please use a gentler approach like this. Also, make sure the blade isnt’ cutting into the mat as that can then cause the cardstock to separate from the mat and then not cut clean, as well.

Kristine
    Participant

Hi Sandy:

Thanks for your reply.  The WD40 did the trick and now the last blade from my March order is no longer chewing the paper to pieces.  With that said, and I understand where you’re coming from regarding a gentler approach, I’ve had my Force for over 2 years and have not had great luck with cutting with multiple passes.  Additionally, I’ve not had the problem with new blades chipping right out of the box either.  At this point, I’m out of new blades and I can’t experiment any further with multiple cuts using different types/weights of cardstock.  I’d like KNK to send me replacement blades at no charge.  I had trouble with 4 out of 5 in this last batch and one from the November 2017 batch.  Are you able to help me with this?

On another note, I’m noticing that the left-hand aluminum holder where one sets & tightens the blade holder is much looser than it used to be.  It’s also markedly wobblier than the holder on the right. I’m fairly certain that this is also causing some issues with cuts not ending up where they’re supposed to be on the paper.  There are 3 rivets or specialized screws/nuts on the left directly behind the backwards c-housing where the left-hand blade holder is set. Can these be tightened? If so, with what type of tool?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Sandy

Hi Kristine,

If you haven’t already, please start a support ticket at the following link and then PLEASE post your assigned ticket number here so that I can then make sure someone at KNK sees the info you’ve posted and responds promptly to you.

Support Ticket Request

Kristine
    Participant

Hi Sandy:

I submitted a support request on 4/9/19 regarding the blades, but have not received a response, except this autoreply:

“Your request (17229) has been received and is being reviewed by our support staff.”

Can there be more than one issue covered on a support request or do I need to submit another regarding the loose housing?

Thanks, Kris

Sandy

Yes, there can be more than one topic covered… no problem.  I’ll make sure someone responds to you by the end of Monday.

Sandy

You should have received a message from Chad. He had to start a new ticket because the prior one had been closed.

Kristine
    Participant

Hi Sandy: I did initially hear back from Chad about the blades on 4/29, but not the loose housing issue.  I just sent my 4/30 reply again today, but would you please urge him to respond?  I need to know where to send the chipped blades and to confirm that replacements are being sent.  I  also need some help troubleshooting the other issue.  With that housing loose, I can’t really use my machine effectively.  I think that’s also been contributing to the scraping, tearing and gouging problems. If there’s someone else I should contact, please let me know.  I appreciate all of your help!  You’re a superstar!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest