Software Preference

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Al
    Participant

Received my Force about a month ago and believe it is working well. I am attempting to self-learn Inkscape to design mylar stencils. So far have had no luck getting the Force to properly cut my projects. Given my current lack of Inkscape knowledge, I suspect my problem lies with my design of Inkscape SVG files the Force can execute.

At this point I am ready to purchase MTC, KNK Studio or some other software to become more efficient on the Force. What compatible (quick to learn) software do you recommend for cutting stencils on the Force? Thanks for your insight.

Sandy

I’ve been recommending Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) because you can cut directly from it to the Force.  Make The Cut is a little less expensive and support resources are much better, however the plugin to the Force hasn’t been provided yet and we don’t have a firm ETA.  Also, if you’re a Mac owner, then SCAL is a better option than MTC, based on feedback from customers.

That being said, you can also download the trial versions of both and play with them to see which you prefer.  Here are links:

SCAL:  http://www.craftedge.com/download/download.html  (you don’t need the Pro version… just the regular one)

MTC: http://make-the-cut.com/Download.aspx?ref=lp

Definitely do not bother with KNK Studio because the SVG export option is dated and the files do not work with the Force unless you import them into SCAL or MTC first.

Finally, I’ve been helping Inkscape users figure out why their SVG files aren’t working correctly in C3. So, don’t hesitate to email one of those files to me if you want my input:  smccauley45@cox.net.

David Becker
    Participant

I have the latest version of Adobe Illustrator and I made a simple one path image and saved it and exported it in an SVG and neither works when I go to cut it on my KNK Force. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Followed all direction in the Force manual and all it does is draw an angled line across the page (I’m drawing it before I cut it)
    Should I get a different program like Make a Cut, would that be easier, I know Adobe illustrator well
    Just not sure what I am doing wrong with creating a SVG file through Illustrator….just wondering if the other programs out there for making SVG files is the easier way to go.

Al
    Participant

Sandy, thanks for the advise. Purchased SCAL 4 and it solved my problem. Al

Sandy

I think you will be very happy with it. Post if you have any questions or issues.

steph_a_nie
    Participant

I have SCAL 2 that I have had a few years and I use it for my cricut expression. I just got my Zing last month, installed MTC… not my SCAL will not work on my expression……

Can I use SCAL in stead of MTC ? Do I need a newer version of SCAL? Sorry for so many questions… My brain has been cricut so long im brain dead 🙂

Sandy

That’s a good question. It seems like you need at least version 3 of SCAL for it to work with the Zing… maybe version 4.  I cannot remember.  Probably the best thing to do is contact SCAL directly.

sbergstc
    Participant

Hi Sandy,

Any further info on whether MTC has or will be providing a plugin for the Force? I really do not want to learn another cutting program… :o)

Also, are there still problems with Adobe Illustrator exporting of SVGs?

Thx,

Sharon in Iowa

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by sbergstc.
    Sandy

MTC says they will provide one but there is no indication at all as to a completion date.    As far as I know the SVG’s from AI are now working. You do have to follow a few guidelines on export options in AI and converting some of the basic shapes to a vector first.  But otherwise, no one has sent us any problem files since several updates ago.

sbergstc
    Participant

Thanks, Sandy…

Sharon

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest