Torn sharp corners on thicker materials

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Abraham Christenson 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Abraham Christenson
    Participant

Hello. I am new to the Force and this forum. I am having alittle trouble getting clean inside corners in thicker poster board. I have no problem in thinner stuff like card stock. But in the poster board the inside of very sharp corners gets drug up or torn a little. I have adjusted blade offset both ways a little at a time to see the effect but still happens. And I have messed with  Blade tension and cut speeds. I have tried going to a two and three pass cut too. Maybe its the material or a dull blade? Any ideas on how to clean this up alittle from anyone?

Darrel Farris
    Keymaster

This sounds more like a material issue.  Longer-fibered paper products tend to fray when cut. Construction paper also doesn’t cut particularly well for this reason.

Blade offset is specific to the blade, so if your corners are sharp on cardstock and not flaring in or outward, then that setting should be universally good.

If your blade tension is somewhere between 2 and 2.5, I suspect that’s sufficient, as well.

I think your approach with using multiple passes is a good one. Just remember that when adding passes, your ending depth should likely be decreasing.  If the idea is to take a more gentle approach and hopefully yield a cleaner cut, you might consider reducing blade tension, begin with a lower start depth and multiple passes.  After cutting, check the mat for cut lines and reduce your ending depth until those go away.

Hope this helps, but again, it’s likely more of a material issue than chasing the “perfect” settings.

Abraham Christenson
    Participant

That makes sense. I was kind of thinking it may be the material. Thank you for the input. I appreciate it. I will try some other materials. I need to find a material that is thick like this posterboard but cuts nice. Using it to make patterns and designs on castings in my foundry.

Thanks again:)

cheers

Darrel Farris
    Keymaster

Does it have to be a paper product?  If you’re using it for something akin to a stencil, have you considered something like mylar? It’s tough stuff, but it’ll have better longevity than a paper product and yield nice sharp details. KNK sells 12″ wide rolls at a good price: http://bit.ly/21fvhNN

Michael’s also sells a couple of varieties of “clear posterboard” that might also work and are available in bigger sheets for around $2 each and their coupons work for it.  🙂

Abraham Christenson
    Participant

No it doesnt have to be paper. Im just using what i have around right now to learn this machine. I want to try some plastic too. Needs to be fairly thick. I will get some and try it.

Thanks again:)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Web Statistics