USB problems

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sandy 6 hours, 40 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

mike.boydon
    Participant

I’ve had my Zing for about 6 years, used frequently up to last year when I had some health problems. I decided to restart using it back in December, got an error message on task bar saying there was a USB connection problem,  also when I selected Cut in MTC I got “Not connected”; so I tried a different USB cable, then tried using my laptop instead of PC. Printer and scanner using same cables and sockets on PC, they work as usual. Exchanged many emails with Chad Youngblut at KNK, no solution, by January he didn’t even answer emails.

The new one does appear on the Devices page in Control Panel

Bought a Zing air on Ebay, arrived today, same problem. tried downloading drivers, no change. The new one does appear on the Devices page as a USB chip (FT232RL) in Control.Panel Tried to download a new copy of MTC; PIN forgotten so requested a new one but when trying to use the new PIN I get a “not valid”

I’m starting to get a bit annoyed

Cheers MIKE

using the new one

Sandy

I’ll do my best to help you get all of this resolved.  First off, the #1 best way to verify that Windows has correctly located and assigned your KNK a COM Port is to use Windows Device Manager and then look for a Ports folder… open that folder.  When the Zing or Zing Air is found, there will a listing that says something like USB-Serial Com X where X is the number assigned.  That will be the Com Port that MTC should also find and use.  If the KNK wasn’t installed, then there will be no Ports folder at all, unless you happen to have some other device that is attached to your computer and gets installed in a similar way.

So, assuming you do not see a Ports folder when your Zing is attached and powered on, then please follow these direction precisely and report back:

(1) Unplug your KNK USB cable if you have it plugged into your computer.

(2) Go to this link, scroll down to the table and on the far right site you’ll see “setup executable”… click on that link, download, extract, and run it.

https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

(3) After running that file, reboot Windows and wait for Windows to fully come back up.

(4) Then connect the USB cable to your computer, turn on the KNK and wait like 15 seconds or so.

(5) RIGHT click on Windows start button and select Device Manager

(6) Look for a Ports folder in Device Manager. Open it and, if your computer installed the driver and found the KNK, then it should say USB-Serial Port (Com X).

Regarding MTC registration, please use the following link to check out various ways of recovering your number:

https://www.iloveknk.com/Support/Tutorials/Make-The-Cut/Retrieving-MTC-and-PCS-Registrations.pdf

mike.boydon
    Participant

Tried everything you listed, on Devices page it shows as FT232R USB UART. However when I run MTC and select “Cut with” it initially shows ~”Connected” in green but after a few seconds it changes to “Not connected” in red.

The only thing I can think of now is that I’m not using the same PC, the old one died, and I’ve had a new one for over a year now. I sent an email request for PIN earlier and that is the PIN now being returned by the BAT file

Cheers MIKE

Sandy

The registration issue wouldn’t be involved with why it disconnects.  When the software isn’t registered it simply cuts watermarks through your project.  I have a document that provides the various ways you can retrieve your registration:

https://www.iloveknk.com/Support/Tutorials/Make-The-Cut/Retrieving-MTC-and-PCS-Registrations.pdf

Back to the connection issue, I need you to follow my instructions from before and follow Steps (5) and (6) exactly as stated and then report back what it says in the Ports folder.  Thanks!

Sandy

I should add that you don’t have to reinstall the driver… just do (5) and (6).

mike.boydon
    Participant

It shows USB Uart Com 4.

I think I have it sorted now, when Make the cut is selected and it shows “Not connected” I clicked on that and it gave me an option to select port with Com4 as an option, clicking that and all systems appear to be “GO”.

Did a quick star using pen on paper instead of blade on card, seems to work OK. Also did a quick check on the PCB from my original machine (although not powered up), that now shows the USB at Com3 so tomorrow I’ll reassemble that one and test further!

As a matter of interest will both the Zing and Zing Air run with Sure cuts a lot, and does SCAL have a metric option as well as imperial inches?

Cheers MIKE

mike.boydon
    Participant

Zing Air is now OK, and the Zing connsction problem is resolved but the Zing now has a different problem, when setting blade origin I can move the carriage but the mat does not move,  same problem when trying to cut, I’m wondering if I have the PCB connectors in the correct sockets,  I did find a problem with the white ribbon cable contacts which were a bit distorted, so I’ve trimmed it back and it now looks OK.

I did do a cross check with the connectors on the Zing air and although the boards are not quite identical the labelling of the sockets suggests I have them correct. Are there any technical details and/or layout diagrams available on the KNK web site?

Cheers MIKE

Sandy

Mike, I’ll see if I can get some info about the layout.

Regarding SCAL, yes, it has full metric functionality… ability to choose mm, cm, or inches, right on the Document Panel.  This, and the fact it has both a true Mac version as well as PC, makes it the preferred choice for many cutter owners. And yes, it’s been thoroughly tested on all KNK models, including the Zing and Zing Air.

Sandy

I reached Chad and he said that it’s unusual for a new main board to be faulty, but not impossible. He said to perhaps switch the leads for the x and y, since left-to-right is working and then see if the mat will move in and out. This will then indicate whether or the motor that controls the movement of the grit shafts is at fault or if it’s the main board.

mike.boydon
    Participant

I don’t have a new PCB, although I had exchanged quite a few emails with Chad, but apart from sn=ending my postal address I heard nothing further after I last had an email from Chad on 20/12/2018 saying he was having problems contacting the KNK office in UK, I sent a further email on 4/2/2019 and only received the auto acknowledgement response.  I’ll have a go at switching X & Y connectors tomorrow.

I downloaded the Demo SCAL this afternoon, I note that it does not import jpg files,  I do quite a bit of work with jpg’s so I think I’ll stick with MTC, I’ve worked with it for over 5 years so I’m reasonably happy with it, at 85 do I really want to climb another learning curve just for the sake of metric plus spend more money. I tend to work under the premise of “if it ain’t broke why fix it?”

Cheers MIKE

Sandy

You can import JPG files into SCAL… you just need to use File>Place Image versus File>Import. Then you can send it to the Trace Image window for tracing.  Alternative, you can start in the Trace Image window and import JPG’s and other raster file formats there.

Regarding switching from MTC to SCAL, that would be entirely up to what suits your needs. I did write a SCAL UM and I have a table to help MTC owners with terminology differences between the two programs.  If you have any other questions regarding how the two differ, just let me know.

mike.boydon
    Participant

Hi Sandy, motor driving mat is OK, when I switch on the mat moves instead of carriage, so it looks like a PCB fault. Could you find out for me, the best way to solve this? Could I send the PCB only for repair or exchange, or would it be quicker and maybe cheaper to supply a new or refurbished PCB.

(cost of transporting a complete machine for repair and return would probably be prohibitive)

Cheers MIKE

Sandy

I reached Chad at KNK USA.  They don’t offer component repairs on boards.  Your only option is to purchase a replacement board from them.  The cost would be $99 plus shipping plus VAT.  If you want a shipping quote, provide your postal code and I’ll have them determine that part.  Unfortunately, we can’t estimate  the VAT that will be assessed at the time of delivery to you.

Sandy

Yes… KNK USA can send you a Paypal invoice.  I’ll post back the shipping quote and then you can send me your Paypal address privately so that you don’t add more spam into your email account. I’m also copy/pasting and now deleting your mailing address above, for your own privacy.

Sandy

Shipping is $35.67.  You can post your Paypal address here and I’ll delete it later or you can email me at smccauley45@cox.net.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest